Mercury 110 9.8 hp repair

nouseforaname

Seaman
mercury

i have here a 9.8 Mercury outboard serial no 8040723. psi in cylinder 1 is 70 and 2 is 120 i was told by the bloke i brought it from.. repairing the water pump at the moment.. i got her stared but noticed she was not pumping so turned it off had a looked.. going to clean it up give it a service and some new paint.. does anyone know the year of this outboard and fuel ratio? thanks
here is what she looks like now.. enjoy!! :cool:[/IMG]
DSCF1635.jpg
[/IMG]
DSCF1634.jpg
[/IMG]
DSCF1630.jpg
DSCF1629.jpg
[/IMG]

merc850

Commander
Re: Mercury 110 9.8 hp repair

I think it's a Bicentennial Edition (1976) fuel to oil; 50-1. Try using a synthetic oil, I have seen it restore compression.

nouseforaname

Seaman

cheers merc850 thank for the info,will give try using a synthetic oil see if it helps,
Today found out the lower unit is buggered.. went to drain the fluid..... nothing but water....... then black tarr like burnt smelling stuff some out.. yuckie so now im on the search for a new lower unit..

also id like to know how the prob comes of,f Ive done the bolt right off.. there was no split-pin or anything but this bolt that i can see if can shed some light on how to the prop comes off?? please

but i gave her a good scrub and it came up a treat :D here some pics of the progress enjoy..

DSCF1653.jpg

DSCF1654.jpg

DSCF1655.jpg

DSCF1656.jpg

redjmp

Chief Petty Officer

You need to use a jawed gear puller to pull off the prop. Replace the jaws with some chain and wrap it around the prop blades.
It might separate from the hub though....

RadarRick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Maybe I missed something, but the compression appears to be a concern. I would start with figuring out what the actual compression is. If it is 70/120, you could have a major problem that you should assess before investing a bundle of cash. It could be just a head gasket, but it's worth checking out.

nouseforaname

Seaman

Good point RadarRick!!
im just useing this outboard to learn abit about them, i brought this cheap so i just want to get it goin back to its former glorey, dont really fussed about spending money on parts, its more finding the parts for them!! but like you said i should get myself a comp tester and find out what it really is, im just going off what the bloke told me who i brought it off. so once i do that ill be able to inspect whats going on,
But for the moment id like to get into the gears and see if there shot.. just working out on how to get into the gears!