1964 Mercury 1000 Fired up and is **ALIVE**

I was told the engine was good when I bought the boat. Ive been burned so many times I expect the worst and smile when its good well this one starts up and sounds sweet. I DO NOT want to MUCK IT up. So what do I look for when barrel testing. Whats the max engine temp ( I have a thermal gun ) Do i look for a pee hole? Does this engine have a thermostat?
Thanks a bunch...

daveswaves

Ensign
Re: 1964 Mercury 1000 Fired up and is **ALIVE**

I was told the engine was good when I bought the boat. Ive been burned so many times I expect the worst and smile when its good well this one starts up and sounds sweet. I DO NOT want to MUCK IT up. So what do I look for when barrel testing. Whats the max engine temp ( I have a thermal gun ) Do i look for a pee hole? Does this engine have a thermostat?
Thanks a bunch...
This engine does not have a thermostat. You would be wise to replace the impeller unless you know it has been changed. You will have to remove the lower end to change the impeller. If the impeller is disintegrated the pieces may have gone up into the engine and block passages. If this is the case we can walk you through what to do. If the impeller is just missing a blade or two the pieces will be too big to get into the block but may be in the water tube. If the impeller is melted the engine was run out of the water and the block will not be plugged up.
Congrats on having a great engine. Once you have determined that you have a good water pump it would be worth checking the compression of all 6 cyl. That will tell the rest of the story or at least give us a start.:)

Last edited: