Newby to a 1964 1000 Mercury need advise.

I just got a 1964 Sabre Craft with a 64 1000. The engine hasn't ran in three years. I worked the engine with a wd-40 soak and turned it over by hand for a few days. Then with the starter, then with the plugs in. It cranks great with even compression sound. So I hooked up the fuel set the choke and it popped off and started. ( i shut it right off ) WoW. I need to know whats the best way to test run this motor? Should I use a drum or garden hose adapter? What type of adapter? Should I do anything different with the fuel mix ratio? Thanks

http://picasaweb.google.com/hotrodnova/MarcSBoats?authkey=Gv1sRgCMG_74SrzczCBg&feat=directlink

redjmp

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Newby to a 1964 1000 Mercury need advise.

I just got a 1964 Sabre Craft with a 64 1000. The engine hasn't ran in three years. I worked the engine with a wd-40 soak and turned it over by hand for a few days. Then with the starter, then with the plugs in. It cranks great with even compression sound. So I hooked up the fuel set the choke and it popped off and started. ( i shut it right off ) WoW. I need to know whats the best way to test run this motor? Should I use a drum or garden hose adapter? What type of adapter? Should I do anything different with the fuel mix ratio? Thanks

http://picasaweb.google.com/hotrodnova/MarcSBoats?authkey=Gv1sRgCMG_74SrzczCBg&feat=directlink

You should have either a drum of water or the ears but you should not run it dry.

However you will need to replace the impeller anyways but you don't want to damage the pump housing by running it dry.

Your carbs should at minimum be soaked to get any varnish out of there if not rebuilt altogether.

Check your distributor cap for corrosion on the posts inside.

You should also check the oil in the lower unit and check again after running a few hours for a milky consistency which would indicate a leak.

Unfortunately those old mercs had a plain steel prop and driveshaft which can get a groove worn in them where the oil seals rub causing them to let water in.

The electrics should be inspected for bad insulation as well...

merc850

Commander

Looking at the low res photo I can't tell for sure but I think that those motors have the water pick-up in the trim tab as seen in my photo. If not it's in the middle of the LU (lower arrow).I would say that a barrel would be the best way to test, make sure that the water covers the cavitation plate. The motor looks good just needs some paint and polish the stainless trim bands.

Attachments

• merc1000.jpg
    merc1000.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 0

turtles11756

Petty Officer 1st Class

grease all the grease fittings steering and distributor, change the lower unit lube and use new gaskets on fill and drain holes. 50-1 gas to 2 cycle engine oil