9.8 110 Mercury Outboard breaking up at half throttle (but still hits top end)

4poundclub0

Recruit
I just purchased a 1973 Mercury 9.8 110 outboard. He showed me that it started up, idled, shifted, and revved up with no problems. I took it out on the lake over the weekend and it starts right up, idles ok, and gets to going fine until you get to half throttle and then it bogs down. After running like this it will eventually get past this and go all the way to full throttle and run perfectly but it could be 5 seconds or 2 minutes before it gets past that half throttle slump. Any suggestions? Here is the maintenance record from the previous owner.

"An older guy that lives close to me was a Mercury mechanic for like 40 years and every once in a while ill take something over there for him to work on, so when I got the motor to crank for me I took it to him to have an impeller and lower unit oil changed in it. This was sometime around the first of august. After I used the motor on my boat and it was breaking up around half throttle I took it to him and had him go through the carburetor. He cleaned it and put a new gasket kit in but told me the carb really was ok to begin with. When I took the boat back out it was still breaking up at half throttle so I went back into it and found the other wire was grounding out. I fixed that and tried the motor on the boat a couple times and had no more problems. All this was during the first couple weeks of august. I used the motor probably 3-4 more times after that. As far as I know the plugs are the originals."

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: 9.8 110 Mercury Outboard breaking up at half throttle (but still hits top end)

What's the spark like, use a spark tester and see if it jumps a nice big gap. Those old merc motors had aluminum wiring and were subject to corrosion. Do you know what ignition it has, breaker with stator known as "phase maker" ignition?

4poundclub0

Recruit
Re: 9.8 110 Mercury Outboard breaking up at half throttle (but still hits top end)

I will check the spark, but I don't know on the second one. How do I go about figuring that out?

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Post the serial number of the motor.

insitebldrs

Recruit

I have this same problem and wonder if plug wires was the fix? Spark seems OK. Engine runs great except on acceleration. Was intermittent now full time....did carb cleaning twice with no change...

Please advise....

/D

Merc110, 68, 2292261

insitebldrs

Recruit

Help.....similar problem to 4poundclub0 above. I have a Merc110, 1968 (2292261) that does not run at full throttle.

1. Started by cleaning the carb and installing a new carb kit, new float, and changed the fuel pump diaphragm.

2. After reading this thread and a couple of others, I bought a harmonic puller to remove the fly wheel, changed both plugs and plug wires, and reset the points.

The engine starts and idles perfect, accelerates smoothly, but still won't go to full speed. Seems to just hang at half throttle -- but running fine at half speed. No miss, no bog down.

Not sure what else to try. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks

/Dennis

Ch98

Recruit
Has anyone found out what the problem was mine is doing the same thing