Mercury 15 HP idling problem

fishdude

Recruit
I have a 2004 15 HP 4 stroke that I use for fishing and I can't get it to idle consistently. Here is my problem:
If I am running it wide open and then try to reduce it to a slow trolling speed it will not go down to a slow speed by just turning the tiller handle. I can get it down to a reduced speed but it is still too fast for trolling. To get it to trolling speed I have to put it in neutral, then rev it to a high speed followed by a hard turn to the tiller handle to get it to a slow idle speed. Sometimes I have to do this multiple times just to get it down to a slow speed. Once I do get it to a slow trolling speed I then put it in forward gear and it often kills and I have to restart it and repeat the process. If it doesn't kill, I may get it to run at a slow trolling speed for a while but it seems to run a little rough and then it often kills (sometimes immediately and other times it will troll slow for a while).
Any advice for me? Is there an idle adjustment? Before taking it to the shop I thought I'd see if there might be some things I can try myself. Thanks for any help.