no spark,. stator ,mercury switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

forrealcc

Seaman
i have a 1150 ,115 h.p. 1970 mercury Has no spark

could it be the stator not giving spark?because the 2 wires are not hooked coming down from the stator because the wires were rotted( cut them clean so there not touching each other ) they are hooked up to the motor side.but not powering anything.would that be the problem ?can i connect them to get spark? or jump and ground the two some how?

mercury switch looks bad cracked and burned. what does that switch do?and do i need it to get spark.

thanks. B

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: no spark,. stator ,mercury switch

Well yeah, that very well could be your problem. Can you tell what color they are?

forrealcc

Seaman

the two wires from the stator to the rectifier ... yellow with red stripe .hope that helps.

Last edited:

preacha

Cadet

Hello I am new to this site but, for the last 2 weeks I have received a lot of help. I have 1973 1150 and I had a bad switchbox. On my motor the wires coming from the stator are for charging battery only. If you have a good hot battery it should fire. You must maintain over 9 1/2 volts on the white wire on the switchbox on the side that has (green,brown, red & white) while engine is cranking. Let others share there comments though. I am just relaying what I have had to go through. Hope you get it running.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

could it be the stator not giving spark?

No not on this model as it a battery CD ignition..
mercury switch looks bad cracked and burned. what does that switch do?and do i need it to get spark.
1) You do not need it for spark but do need it for safety...
2) If its cracked and burnt it can cause it not to have spark as its grounding out the trigger. It is a safety feature in case you hit a underwater object and motor (A) Breaks restraint strap (B) Mounting brackets break and motor flips into boat or tilts more than a 45 degree angle....
3) You can disconnect it for testing...

forrealcc

Seaman

the mercury switch is off right now and the stator (wires).and no spark .so do i need the rectifier?other then the two stator wires ,the rectifier has a red wire that is spliced and goes to the switch box .the red wire comes from the ignition switch.

forrealcc

Seaman

my switch box is just that a metal box the replacement looks nothing alike and the new one has a coil wire with it .does the new one have the switch box and the coil together ?
1142986_1.jpg

forrealcc

Seaman

anyone help with the identification of replacement switch box .

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

so do i need the rectifier

Only if it tests bad.. it has nothing to dowith you not haveing spark...
the new one has a coil wire with it .does the new one have the switch box and the coil together ?

Yes it a replacement kit...
Before you start throwing part at it test the ignition to find the failed part, Below are test and hints to check your engines system.....

The acceptable voltage range for battery type ignitions is typically 9.5 Volts (at cranking) to a maximum of 16 volts at full throttle(13.2-14.6 preferred). Voltages above or below this range can cause damage to the CD.
DO NOT USE A MAINTAINENCE FREE, DRY CELL OR AGM BATTERY WITH ANY BATTERY DRIVEN CD UNIT!

No Fire on Any Cylinder:
1. Clean all battery connections and engine grounds.
2. Disconnect the mercury tilt switch and retest. If the ignition works properly, replace the mercury switch.
3. Connect a spark gap tester to the spark plug wires and check for fire on all cylinders. If some cylinders fire and not others, the problem is likely in the distributor cap, rotor button or spark plug wires. Notice: If the unit only fires when you let off of the key switch, the trigger is usually the problem.
4. If the trigger is one manufactured by CDI Electronics, verify the disk used in the trigger is the steel disk ? not the copper one.
5. Check voltage present on the White wire at cranking. It MUST be at least 9? volts. If not, the problem is in the harness, key switch, starter or battery.
6. Check voltage present on the Brown wire at cranking. It MUST be at least 9 volts. If not, the problem's likely in the pack.
7. Check DVA voltage on the Green wire going to the coil. It should be approximately 200 volts at cranking.
8. With the spark gap tester to the high tension lead coming from the ignition coil, disconnect the Brown, White and Black trigger wires. Connect a jumper wire from the terminal for the Brown wire to the terminal for the White wire. Connect another jumper to the terminal for the Black wire and (with the key switch turned on) strike the jumper against engine ground. The unit should fire each time. If it does, the CD module is usually good.

forrealcc

Seaman

wow .thanks .thats alot of info . im gonna print that and check it out .really do i need the choke solenoid for spark?can i take the one wire off to it ?or will that mess more up .im just trying to elimanate things i dont need so i can get spark ... and start

REMOVED:
rectifier unwired.
mercury switch off..
2 stator wires cut clean now.(they fell apart) so they dont touch...

i dont think the choke button works .....

thanks

merc850

Commander

This wiring diagram is for a 1975 but the idea is the same!

Attachments

• wiring diagram.jpg
    wiring diagram.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 9

forrealcc

Seaman

i have the correct wire diag .thanks ...i have the choke button on the throttle control ...it works now :D...never has.i ohmed the wire and hooked up to it and the tried it .
but my question is still no spark .

what is a spark gap tester ...my plugs are flat not like a normal plug.i just noticed when i pulled 1.

"4. If the trigger is one manufactured by CDI Electronics, verify the disk used in the trigger is the steel disk ? not the copper one."MINE IS THE OLD METAL BOX..

HOW CAN I CHECK THE OLD METAL SWITCH BOX ?SER# 283XXX

westexasrepublic

Chief Petty Officer

image_1082.jpg

Inline Ignition Spark Checker

TO CHECK FOR A SPARK, NOT TO SET THE GAP ON A PLUG, THE PLUGS YOU HAVE ARE CORRECT.

forrealcc

Seaman

thanks for the picture .im getting one soon .thanks for that... would one of the heavy duty test light work? if i put the clip to a ground on the test light then stick the test light point in the spark plug wire and try to start it, it should light up if i had spark right .

westexasrepublic

Chief Petty Officer

get the right tools for the job...the device shown is a spark tester and cost $5.

forrealcc

Seaman

yes sir,can you help with any of my question to get spark?

westexasrepublic

Chief Petty Officer

im guessing you have the same problem I am, read this thread I started also....http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=447265

basically, Iv researched and found that if the motor cranks when the key is turned and your not getting spark that there is 3 main reasons. Bad ignition switch grounding out not allowing spark, or bad mercury switch grounding out and not making spark.

the third is bad coils
18-5186.jpg

if you can think of more reasons, post up.

but that dosnt apply to me since I checked them per my Seloc manual.

watch

You know it never ceases to amaze me a how a customer will spend that kind of money on an old motor like the 1150 tower. I mean really would you buy a 1973 weedwacker at a garage sale? I give Carl Kiekhaefer all the credit in the world and admit he was way ahead of his time, but he did invent the Basic solid state CDI ignition which is still in use today. Granted the "Hall Effect" battery ignition was amazing too but who would have thought that the problem now would be the insulation on the wiring! I always hated working on these motors just because you had to have the patience of an archaeologist just not to destroy the wiring. I mean have you priced one of those wiring harnesses. At my old dealership we had one in stock never exposed to the sun in a somewhat temperature controlled room, went to pull it out of stock and poof a dusty cloud of insulation smoke. My advice is buy a Yamaha!

westexasrepublic

Chief Petty Officer

You know it never ceases to amaze me a how a customer will spend that kind of money on an old motor like the 1150 tower. I mean really would you buy a 1973 weedwacker at a garage sale? I give Carl Kiekhaefer all the credit in the world and admit he was way ahead of his time, but he did invent the Basic solid state CDI ignition which is still in use today. Granted the "Hall Effect" battery ignition was amazing too but who would have thought that the problem now would be the insulation on the wiring! I always hated working on these motors just because you had to have the patience of an archaeologist just not to destroy the wiring. I mean have you priced one of those wiring harnesses. At my old dealership we had one in stock never exposed to the sun in a somewhat temperature controlled room, went to pull it out of stock and poof a dusty cloud of insulation smoke. My advice is buy a Yamaha!

really, the guy with 2 posts, and this is your contribution to the thread........move along

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

HOW CAN I CHECK THE OLD METAL SWITCH BOX ?SER# 283XXX

Do steps 5 thru 8 and that tests box and trigger...the disk is inside distributer and only applys to the CDI aftermarket replacement...

Status
Not open for further replies.