2008 Mercury 60hp overspeeding, boat doesn't plane

hocuspocus

Recruit
I have bought this nearly new 16 foot boat, with 2008 EFI mercury 60hp. The boat was great this summer. I took it out one last time before winter and it was running fine at idle, low speed, just as usual. It usually planes out at mid-throttle (4000 rpm), but today it would not. It was just dragging low in water, 8-10 mph maybe. Then the engine winds up, but I backed off throttle not to overspeed. Power is not there. I would try again and again, but every time same thing happens. Can't bring the boat to plane, and the engine winds up as if the impeller would not follow or if it would fall in neutral. But it does not fall in neutral since the boat still goes forward, low speed.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

bullet 101

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 2008 Mercury 60hp overspeeding, boat doesn't plane

Check the hub in your propeller,sounds like it could be slipping.

hocuspocus

Recruit

Thanks. I've removed the propeller and, although its not that old, it might be the case. Its hard to say, but the hub looks slightly off center. The previous owner has been in salt water a few times, so maybe the aluminium got corroded in there. Who knows. I won't puts around with it, I'll just to find a new one. Maybe some online store. I live in Canada so if anybody has recommendations... I should also check if its still under warranty. 2 years old !

Thanks again.

bassman284

Commander

Just find someone who repairs props. They can press a new hub in that one.

Jeep Man

Commander

Sounds like a spun prop. Any marine dealer or prop shop can chegk it and repair it. Where are you in Canada?

hocuspocus

Recruit

Ok. I've removed the prop. Looks fine, splines are perfect. I've removed the internal hub. See attached photos. It looks also in perfect condition. I had to use a press to push it out. It was quite tough to remove so there is no way that it spins. Once removed the rubber part (quite dense and hard rubber) which is compressed inside, expands. So it will be extremely hard for me to put it back. I might just buy a new prop. So I'm back to square one.

Attachments

• Propeller 001 25pc.jpg
    Propeller 001 25pc.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Propeller 002 25pc.jpg
    Propeller 002 25pc.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Propeller 003 25pc.jpg
    Propeller 003 25pc.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 0

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

You can still take it to a prop shop and see if they will fix it.