Power Trim fluid

donaldboyer

Cadet
1998 Mercury 90hp
3cyl 2 stroke

Hello,

I noticed the fluid in the power trim reservoir is a little low and I want to top it up. The manual says to use:
ATF fluid Type F, FA or Dexron II

I have some Penrite ATF fluid here which says it can be used where GM Dexron II spec is required.

This might be a dumb question, but is GM Dexron II and Dexron II the same thing?

Can I use this to top up my power trim??

Thanks,

DOnald

Robbabob

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Power Trim fluid

1998 Mercury 90hp
3cyl 2 stroke

Hello,

I noticed the fluid in the power trim reservoir is a little low and I want to top it up. The manual says to use:
ATF fluid Type F, FA or Dexron II

I have some Penrite ATF fluid here which says it can be used where GM Dexron II spec is required.

This might be a dumb question, but is GM Dexron II and Dexron II the same thing?

Can I use this to top up my power trim??

Thanks,

DOnald

I have heard that any ATF will work fine.

Robbabob

Senior Chief Petty Officer

By the way, Welcome to iBoats!

Hope you stick around, much to be learned and shared here

:cool:

James R

Commander

Dexron 2 is Dexron 2 no matter who makes it. It will be OK.

James R

Commander

I would not use any ATF not recommended. Seals and O rings in different models are made from different materials and may not tolerate the wrong fluid. I have just finished rebuilding a 1987 OMC 50HP T/T. The trim cylinder contained water and the rest of the system was filled with black muck. Have a guess where the black muck came from and why.

RRitt

Captain

Use more of whatever fluid is already installed.

If you have a dry system that is empty and you want to use the best possible fluid then use hydraulic oil. Regular ISO32 for warm weather boats and AW32 for boats that will be used in cold weather. Orings in hydraulic oil typically last 35%-100% longer than the same orings in ATF. The adverse affects of ATF are minimized by releasing pressure during storage. You should always block your engine and lower tilt for storage or trailer.