1999 mercury 150xr6 will not rev up rough idle

champeocc05

Recruit
It all started when it wouldn't start and at this time my flywheel came loose from the crank so I got home reinstalled the flywheel and started the engine revved it and it popped died then I got it to start and idle but it wouldn't rev up so I did several hours of trouble shooting and I have rebuilt the carbs the fuel pump istalled a new primer bulb filter and hoses and now I can get it to start with no problem but it want rev unless I continuously hit the choke does anyone have any idea what it could be thanks for any suggestions

starcraft1982

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1999 mercury 150xr6 will not rev up rough idle

Im assuming since you did "several hrs. of troubleshooting"that you checked compression and verified good spark to all cylinders so that would just leave the fuel system.You need to thoroughly go through everything.I would start w/carbs.Make sure floats are set correctly and in good condition.Also if you didnt,make sure the jets are clear.Check all internal and external fuel lines for deterioration and/or leaks(connections too).Perform lync and sync.Im also assuming gas is good and tank is clean.If that all doesnt get her purring,report back so the big boys can chime in as I admittedly dont know muchabout the reeds and if a worn/chipped one would/could cause your issues.Good luck.

1nebel0

Chief Petty Officer

Reeds control idle and power..Break enough of them and motor won't run...Break a steel reed and rebuilt your motor..All of us V6 Merc guys run reeds made from anything but steel..If your motor injests one it's a rebuilt for that cylinder.You can buy after market reeds from a number of sources..It is the first thing we all do when we buy a motor..Reeds also can cause rough idle even though they aren't broken if they are not sealing...just my 2 cents......

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

How 'loose' was the flywheel?

Did you inspect the magnets and the stator to see if any contact had been made between the two?

A loose magnet will cause erratic stator output.

DVA test the stator to ensure output is correct for both low and high speed windings.

Was the keyway damaged? Did you replace the key?