200 mercury xri not starting

xri bullet

Recruit
I have a 1994 200 mercury xri,it set for about 2 years,put new batteries in it,pumped the bulb up and it started,took to the lake a couple of weeks later,had to pump bulb upo again,wouldn't stay running,seemed like it was running out of fuel,replaced bulb and line from tank to motor,and replaced plugs,that's it,wouldn't start at all,have fuel all the way to the filter,have fire at the plugs,but doesn't seem like any fuel is getting to the cylinders,pulled plugs and were dry,,where do I go from here??

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: 200 mercury xri not starting

Do you hear the electric fuel pump run when keys is turned to "on"? If not the pump is locked up from varnish and gum in VST tank. The manual fuel pump and the oil pump feed VST so fuel is mixed at proper ratio.This mixed fuel left to set in Vst tank varnishs/gum just like the inside of a carb and as it is broken up it clogs inlet filter on pump and breaks loose inside pump. If it is running the inlet needle on VST float is stuck not allowing fuel into VST. I would not run this engine untill the following was performed: VST tank cleaned, pump filter replaced, pump cleaned or replaced, injectors cleaned and tested, manual fuel pump diaphram replaced, impeller replaced. A EFI is really picky about fuel flow and above problems and bad ECU's WILL cause motor failure. Do not try to add any "snake oils" as they dont work in a injected engine.

xri bullet

Recruit
Re: 200 mercury xri not starting

I'm not sure if it has an electric pump,is it past were the fuel filter is,because all I can tell is that from the bulb,it goes to the mechanical fuel pump and then to the fuel filter(that looks like a oil filter for a car),and after that it is kinda hard to see where it goes,but the way you stated sounds very much like what could be wrong if I knew it had an electric fuel pump,didn't hear anything when key is on though,but been a couple of years since I owned this boat and don't remember if it did before