1965 Mercury 65hp

Russell48

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1965 Mercury 65hp motor,, The wires are good inside the cover,, But are dead at both inside plug an outside plug,, So I just wanting to see if anyone can tell me how I can run the wires to a new key switch straight from the color wires inside the motor,, I have the red,black,white,yellow,blue an green,, But the green one I can't see where it gose to the motor,, I have a new key switch an has the letters on each pole,,, Which is AM,,,, B,,,M,,,I,,,B,,,C,,, The compresson on all 4 cylinders are 125psi,, So the motor is in good shape,, An wantin to get it running for my boat,, I have the motor turning over but no fire to the plugs,, An I hopeing it's because of the wires an bad key switch,,, Hope someone can help me with this,,,,,, I was thinking about traden the ol motor for something bigger an running,,lol,, But I like the oldies but goodies,,lol Thanks,,,,,

turtles11756

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1965 Mercury 65hp

i think you can see all the wiring diagrams at maxrules.com or master tech marine

mrallen007

Petty Officer 1st Class

This may help as well. These are the Mercury standard wiring color codes. You can also order a manual for your year that will have all the wiring diagrams. I'd recommend getting hold of a wiring diagram of some sort before trying this. You can get the manuals on Amazon or find them online as turtles suggested. Keep us posted on how it all goes.

Black - All Ground

Brown - Reference Electrode MerCathode System

Orange - Anode Electrode MerCathode System

Lt. Blue/White Stripe - Trim UP Switch

Lt. Green/White Stripe - Trim DOWN Switch

Brown/White Stripe - Trim Sender to Trim Gauge

Purple/White Stripe - Trim "Trailer" Switch

Gray - Tachometer Signal

Black/Yellow Stripe - Shorting or Stop Circuit

Pink - Fuel Sender to Gauge

Red - Unprotected Wire from Battery

Red/Purple Stripe - Protected (Fused) Wire from Battery

Red/Purple Stripe - Protected (12 Volt +) to Trim Panel Control

Purple - Ignition (Switch) to 12 Volt Positive

Tan - Temperature Switch to Warning Horn

Tan - Temperature Sender to Temperature Gauge

Tan/Blue Stripe - Temperature Switch to Warning Horn

Yellow - Starter Solenoid to Starter Motor

Yellow - Starter to Regulator (Charging Circuit)

Yellow/Red Stripe - Start Switch to Start Solenoid to Neutral Start Switch

Yellow/Black Stripe - Choke (Enrichener System)

Green with Color Stripe - Switch Box to Coil - Striped and Numbered

White/Black Stripe - Bias Circuit (Switch Boxes)

The ABYC Recommended Colors

Yellow/Red - Starting Circuits

Brown/Yellow or Yellow - Bilge Blowers

Dark Grey - Navigation Lights & Tach Signals

Orange - Accessory Feeds

Brown - Pumps

Purple - Instrument Feeds

Dark Blue - Cabin and instrument Lights

Light Blue - Oil Pressure

Tan - Water Temperature

Pink - Fuel Gauge Sender

Russell48

Petty Officer 2nd Class

:) Ok guys an Thanks,, I will get to it an see what happens an will sure let ya know what happens,,,,, An mite try to put pic on here so ya can see the switch I tryn to use,,, Thanks again,,,

mrallen007

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do that. Depending on the year, I may have some diagrams or more info for you. Let us know how it all goes! :)

Russell48

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well my problem is this,,, The old key switch letters are,,,E,,,,B,,,,F,,,,D,,,, an a green wire that don't have a letter at all,,, An the new key switch letters are,,,, B,,,,M,,,,C,,,,I,,,,B,,,,AM,,,, So I can't fig out which color wire to put where an don't want to guess at it cause I sure don't want to burn nothing up,,,:eek: Boom,,,lol,,,,, So on the old switch the color wires are on the letters as,,,,, E,,white wire,,,,B,,yellow wire,,,F,,black wire,,,D,,red wire,,, Then the green wire with no letter on it,,lol,, An when I bought this switch at Tracker Boat place the told me it would be the same an it's not,,lol,, So this is why I am asking for help if anyone can help,,, Thanks,,,,, Russ,,,,:rolleyes:

makinhole

Recruit

I had to use a meter and check for continuity through the key switch, in the off, run and start positions, then using the wire color chart I was able to determine where each wire needed to be. Good luck you can do it !!!

Russell48

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok,, Thanks guys I will check the site an see if it helps,, An sure glad someone good luck me,,lol,, Thanks again,,,,:D

Russell48

Petty Officer 2nd Class

:confused: Can't even find a 1965 in the site,,lol,, But I going to keep at it,,lol

Russell48

Petty Officer 2nd Class

:confused: Well,,, I was at it again today,,lol,, For about 2 hrs,, The digrams are for 6 plugs an mine is 5 plugs,,lol,, I went back to Bass Trackers today an tryed to get them to help,, O-WELL,,lol,, I tryed to hook up like the Digrams shows me an man o man,, The wire from the dsceribeter got hot so I unhook it,,, So They told me it will cost about 40 to 50 bucks for a new key switch if they can get it,,lol,, An I told en I just bought this one from em an they wouldn't take it back an I didn't even hook up the new one,,, Well I sure hope for better luck tomorrow,, Was wanting to get the boat in the water before it got to cold,, An want to thanks for ya help guys,, But I not going to give up yet,, I still have all winter to work at it,,lol,, :rolleyes:

Russell48

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think I got the key switch hook up now,, But still no fire to the plugs,, So I guess I may need to try an get to the points in it an see how they look,,, Anyone know where a digram for taken off the discerbiter cap??? It sure looks like its going to be a job,,, Thanks,,,

Russell48

Petty Officer 2nd Class

:eek: SPARK SPARK SPARK SPARK,,, FIRE FIRE,,,,, FIRE IN THE HOLE,,,,,, BOOM :eek: lol,,lol,, Well I just wantn ya'll to know that my dist. wasn't grounded good enough an thats all that was wrong with my ol 65,,,lol,, I sure want to thank all that has helped me out with the imfo to try to get spark,,lol,,Man O Man what a rush it did to me,,lol,, Sounds good an healthy,, Now I am going to do some running the motor in a barrle of water to check water pump an see how she dose,, An when I take er to the lake then I will try to get a vid put on here so ya'll can see what great help I had from here also,,, :D Thanks all,,,,,,, Russ ,,,,,,

Russell48

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This is my 1965 Mercury 65 HP

Attachments

• DSC00499.jpg
    DSC00499.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00512.jpg
    DSC00512.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00513.jpg
    DSC00513.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 0

Russell48

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I hear that,, But I just got some info on doing the water pump,,, Now I think I should try an get some info an digrams on taken the lower unit apart so I can try to put new seals in it while I have it off doing the water pump,,, An mite be a good idea to get info on the carbs so I can clean em or rebuild em,,lol,, Man O Man,, I sure hope I can get the parts for this ol motor,,, I going to put it on my 24ft pontoon if I can get it all going good an take my 1980 80hp off an sell it to get the parts for it ,,,

dbizkit12

Recruit

I just got a boat with A 1965 MERCURY 650 65HP ON IT. When I restored the interior of the boat, the fuel line was bad so I took it out and threw it away, not thinking about the fittings to the motor. Can anyone tell me where I can get a fuel line fitting for this motor, or even show me a picture of what it looks like? I cant seem to find anything about it online.