Permatex ultra black and poppet gasket

DamianJP

Chief Petty Officer
Hello again all

Getting a poppet done and iv'e just reassembled the poppet guts and it's time to put it all together and on the block. Can I use permatex ultra black as abit of dressing to aid the seal with the 2 (what looks like cork) gaskets?

ALso what material is these gaskets made out of and why is it diffrent than all the other gaskets on the power head? Im curious.

Thanks,
DamianJP

sschefer

Rear Admiral
Re: Permatex ultra black and poppet gasket

Hello again all

Getting a poppet done and iv'e just reassembled the poppet guts and it's time to put it all together and on the block. Can I use permatex ultra black as abit of dressing to aid the seal with the 2 (what looks like cork) gaskets?

ALso what material is these gaskets made out of and why is it diffrent than all the other gaskets on the power head? Im curious.

Thanks,
DamianJP
Don't use anything, it's cork.

DamianJP

Chief Petty Officer

Hey sschefer

Thank you, I waited till tomorrow to do it. Good thing I did, I was almost set to use permatex too because I though it couldn't hurt.

Why did they go with cork here, and not just the same gasket material they used throughout the engine?

Thanks,
DamianJP

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Hey sschefer

Thank you, I waited till tomorrow to do it. Good thing I did, I was almost set to use permatex too because I though it couldn't hurt.

Why did they go with cork here, and not just the same gasket material they used throughout the engine?

Thanks,
DamianJP

Actually, there is cork between the front halves. Not sure why on the poppet but it works fine. I've seen them with permatex #2 on them before but there's really no need for it. I never use it.

DamianJP

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks sschefer

The reason I ask is that I cleaned the poppet cover and plate and installed the spring,diaphram, ect to the plate part. I sandwiched the pieces together(Plate assby, cover and both gaskets) to check it before final install and held it up to the sky and saw a spot here and there that had little light coming thru it. Mabey when I torque it down to
150 IN.LB it will seal. I just wanted alittle more piece of mind to make sure.

Cool, I didn't know the cork gasket was used on another spot on the engine.

Thanks again,
DamianJP

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

The biggest problem with using silicone sealers is that most people use way TOO MUCH, it squishes out and gets into things where it should NOT be.

Personally, I use it, a lot, but very sparingly. As in spread it out just as thin as possible, almost like it isn't even measurable, then hang it up and let it set for at least a half hour, or more, so that it isn't slick when you bolt the parts together.

If assembled while wet, the silicone acts like a lubricant, ANY nonparallel in the parts and the gasket tends to slide out, like a tiddly-wink, and tear, rendering the gasket useless.

Any warp in the parts, use a piece of sand-paper laid on a piece of glass, slid/sand the surface to 'true' flat.

DamianJP

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks CharlieB

Gonna use a tiny bit. I must say tho I used to be suspect #1 when using too much. Im getting the hang of doing a fine bead so when I torque/tighten something down, it comes out uniform and barley. Almost you cant tell that it is there unless you know its there because you installed it.

Gonna also try letting it 'tack' up abit before install.

And finally gonna try alittle sanding, coudn't hurt abit.

Thanks for the little tips they add up and make my work easier for me and for next time :D

DamianJP