Big problem with timing and adjustments on 1999 Mariner Jet 30 3cyl stroke

rhillman75

Petty Officer 2nd Class
As from some of my other posts in regards to carbs...I finally got everything smoothed out as far as WOT carb adjustments. Just when everything was looking good...we took it out onthe water today, and then all hell broke loose. We ran great for about 4 hours and suddenly everyhting just stopped. I went from medium speed to a dead stop. I couldn't even get the motor to idle or start. I popped open the top shell to the motor and noticied that the guy who worked on my motor evidently did not tighten down the locknuts for the idle timing screw, or the idle stop screw. The screws actually work themselves out all the way. The best part was getting a tow from 4 miles out in the water. Now I have looked at all the paper work for the timing and syncing part... but how do you do it when you don't know were to start. Every setting is jacked up and the only thing that is not altered is the maximum timing advance and the WOT stop screw. I have tried to set the timing with both a light and just setting the number one cylinder to top dead center, but the control arm keeps not wanting to let the idle timing screw to set at +/- 2degrees at top dead center when I try to adjust the idle stop screw. Please help...the guy that worked on it left the city yesterday for vacation and the nearest marina is over 70 miles away.

191Seanymphstriper

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Big problem with timing and adjustments on 1999 Mariner Jet 30 3cyl stroke

Change your spark plug

191Seanymphstriper

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Big problem with timing and adjustments on 1999 Mariner Jet 30 3cyl stroke

:D Just kidding! Can you take a picture of it and post it up for me so i can view it really quick?