voltmeter flux

Dania Bob

Recruit
I'm running my 250 merc at about 5 knots and I hear a low high-pitched screetching sound from the engine. I feel a slight decrease in power for about 3 seconds. The sound stops and I'm good. It happens again about 5 minutes later and I notice the voltmeter going from 14 to 12 volts. It holds at 12. Five minutes later it does it again and the voltmeter goes from 12 to 14 volts then back to 12 when the sound stops. I've had the boat for 2 years now and the voltmeter when running has always been at 14 volts. What happened?:confused:

Orbit Express

Seaman Apprentice
Re: voltmeter flux

That motor of yours, along with most others here is fluxed up. Repower is the best option. Sooner the better, next will be bearings, pistons, read what people are putting up with here.

j_martin

Admiral

That motor of yours, along with most others here is fluxed up. Repower is the best option. Sooner the better, next will be bearings, pistons, read what people are putting up with here.

Go back over on the JohnnyRude side. You're getting to be a bore.

j_martin

Admiral

I think what's happening is the alternator is kicking in and out. When it's out (most of the time) the battery is discharging. When it works, the battery is pulling maximum power and the belt is squealing a bit.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Orbit... just because you had a failure which happens to ALL BRANDS, there is no need of you posting BS. If you want to help the poster all said and good but if your going to bash and BS and offer no advice, pop a clutch and GTFW !!!

Dania Bob

Recruit

Thanks for the help. Can't let the battery drain so I'm getting the altenator checked asap.............

Dania Bob

Recruit

An alternator for a 97 250 merc retails for $588.00..(marine mechanic pricing). Went online and found Spider Marine starter and alternator...Their new alternator price is 158.00 plus tax. Took the old one in for testing...no good..bought the new one ..1/2 hour later, I'm charging at 14 volts again...love it when that happens...........:)