1978 Mercury Outboard 50 horse drive issues

Norseman3971

Recruit
Ok. Just got a boat so I can take kids fishing and go crabbing in Puget Sound in Washington..

The motor is a 1978 Mercury 50 horse 500 with a thunderbolt ignition. At last that is what I can figure out.

At some point the prior ower of the engine put a jet drive on the lower part of the motor. Seems to work well.

The problem. The seller said you had to hold (tied to steering/throttle arm) the shifter forward otherwise it would jump to neutral. I went out and even with it pulled all the way forward it would spontanously jump there... Brought it home. Seems to be a fair amount of play in the linkage system and the hole where the shaft goes down to the lower unit. I think I may have to get a bushing or something into the hole to tighten it up.

Problem 2: The first few times I went full throttle it would rev up to maybe 2/3's power and the bog down a bit. I think I may have a timing issue (retard or advance it). Or maybe a richness issue. I played with the choke when doing this and it only made it worse and did not go back to where it should be. Also the longer I ran it the less it wanted to open up. Didn't even get 1/2 way up on the rev's. Wondering if I need to change the water pump/impeller to move water through the engine.

Engine starts fine with no choking required, with maybe a 1/2 second press of the starter switch. Temps are around 60 -65 F. Water temp is probably the same or slightly cooler.

Last question for this. I have no clue if it is a 1978 Merc. Where do I find the Serial number to verify.

I am pretty good mechanically so most work, even some metal work I can do. 20 years of working airplanes and growing up on a farm helps out the cause... But marine engines are a little new for me so any help is appreicated.

Sorry for the long post. Just looking for good info and want to give you all the pieces of the puzzle to best assist me.

Alright. took the boat out a second time. I bungee corded the shift lever to the steering arm. Only one time did it ever jump out of gear.
As I applied the throttle it would take off and then the jet pump almost seems to cavatate. I just loose propulsion for the most part. The engine does rev up and then it backs down like the timing isn't right. I might get maybe.. just maybe 5-10 mph out of the thing with a 16ft smoker craft boat with just myself 220lbs and my 60 lb son in it. So besides the motor and gas. It has less than 300 pounds of weight in the boat. I'm sorry. But the boat claims the largest motor to put on it is a 40 horse. I have a 50 with a jet drive. I should be able to get up on a plane and skim across the water with the thing. I can only do max 10 mph. Please.....
I have had this posted here for 24 hours and no replies. Guess this web site is dead and just checked infrequently...

Norseman3971

Recruit
Re: 1978 Mercury Outboard 50 horse drive issues

So I can help other people looking for information on either a 1978 Mercury 500, and a jet drive from outboardjets, here is what I found to fix my problem. Since no one replied in 6 months to this thread. Thought this was an active forum...

I pulled the lower jet drive unit.
http://www.outboardjets.com/catalog...et Drives A to Z, Exploded Views/Model EF.pdf
I found the boot for the exhaust port inside the lower unit was curved in on one side and was melted a bit. Figure the exhaust was forcing it's way into the jet drive and causing the cavitation (lack of thrust).
While in there i adjusted the linkage to the bail on the back of the jet drive. The first owner of this did not set it up to swing like it should. Had to use the lower hole in it.
I replaced that boot and the water pump impeller (which was in dire need of replacement) Put it back together and took it for a spin.

I now have a great operating old Mercury. This is on a 14 foot smokercraft. I get about 17mph out of the boat now. I no longer get it "jumping" out of gear. I have no idea what caused this, maybe the cavitation of the drive, but it is very solid now. The boat is by no means fast, but at least get up on a plane and move faster than a paddleboat since before I fixed this my wife could beat me with a paddleboat.

With the jet drive there is absolutely no "gears" for forward and reverse. From the Engine to the drive shaft to the lower unit is all a direct drive system. The only change from Forward to neutral to reverse is all from the bail on the back of the jet drive. I also verified my key in the jetdrive impeller was in good shape and wasn't partially sheared.
Also while in the lower unit I cleaned all the corrosion, salt and siilt deposits. Lubed and greased everything that spins or seats onto something.

Hope this helps someone.

chum1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1978 Mercury Outboard 50 horse drive issues

Hey Norsman, dont know much about jet drives but i do know that puget sound is big, you have got a good old engine with some proper maint. it should last a long time as long as the salt water doesnt get to it first :)