• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old threads or hijack existing threads. Old threads of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old threads should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís thread (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the thread is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old thread.

5. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís thread. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread.

7. Posting at the end of any thread is considered to be hijacking the original posters thread which in turn subjects the thread to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive thread asking you not to reply to old threads. The Red banner will read: Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

primer bulb wont fill up

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• primer bulb wont fill up

1985 50hp mercury idles fine, starts fine, no wot but it picks up when i squeeze the primer but then the primer wont fill back up till i bring it back to idle, it has a new portable gas tank and the primer and lines to the engine are new(bought this year) it has ran this way since day one, any suggestions?

Re: primer bulb wont fill up

Is the gas tank vent open and working? Try it with the gas cap off.
    Ignition troubleshooting

Comment

i tried it with the vent opened a little and opened a lot and with the cap off same thing it has a mercury fitting next to the engine and an omc fitting at the tank probably makes no difference huh

Comment

Did you replace the entire fuel line or just the part between the bulb and motor?
        Ignition troubleshooting

Comment

everything is new from the tank(including the tank) to where the line hooks the the engine

Comment

Have you tried running the motor with the cowl/ hood off, to see if gas is spilling out of carbs/lines etc.?
            You probably looking at a fuel pump rebuild.

Comment

New primer bulb eh?

You get that from walmart?

The one I got from there didn't work, brand new and junk right from the start.

If your old bulb isn't falling apart try putting it back in and see what happens.

For the record I'm leaning towards fuel pump also. Don't be discouraged though, they're so easy to rebuild a cave man could do it!
              16' 1964 Duracraft runabout.
              90hp 1985 Merc I6.
              14' 1982 Lowe.
              18hp 1985 Merc. with a sick switch pack.

Comment

Got the arrow on the primer bulb pointing in the right direction of flow?
                They also work better pointing upwards too.

Comment

that was what I thought. primer bulb installed backwards.
                  Also don't buy walmart/Kmart crap. Buy only OEM PARTS.

Comment

yes it is walmart will try something else

Comment

got the carbs built and now no trouble except real slow taking off prop pitch is 10 on a 16 ft bayliner 1040lbs 50 horse mercury is that about right?

Comment

Forget Walmart, KMart, Meiers, and go to a real boat/motor outfitter and get a real motor. Look into anything but a Merc.

Comment

Once again, the above poster gives incredibly intelligent & helpful advice.

I'm glad you got it running, Jason. My 15' Renken with the same motor takes of slowly. I have a 13 pitch prop. I think it's more an issue of power. 50hp isn't that much...I trimmed mine differently (it's manual trim) and I got it to pop out of the water better. Maybe you could try messing with the trim and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Mi duckdown View Post
                            that was what I thought. primer bulb installed backwards.
                            Also don't buy walmart/Kmart crap. Buy only OEM PARTS.
                            Never seen that happen before. One of the little things that can be missed will be missed from time to time I guess.

Comment

Working...
                            X