1949 mercury motor

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1949 mercury motor

Ask at Johns Old Mercury Web Site. Do you have a model and serial number.
The early Mercs are hard to date.KE4 was 47-52 There is a limited serial number list
49 should be 247351-261720.

pequawketdave

Recruit

Ask at Johns Old Mercury Web Site. Do you have a model and serial number.
The early Mercs are hard to date.KE4 was 47-52 There is a limited serial number list
49 should be 247351-261720.

I have what appears to be a KE4. In trying to determine its origin I found a tillotson carburetor file which helped me. What I found was the normal carburetor is an AJ-23, however, in 1948 and 1949, there were KE4's with an AJ-19 also. The marking is pretty clear on the carburetor. Also found that KE4's had a distinctive ribbed exhaust manifold on the starboard side which changed in later years.

The motor that I picked up had a Mark 7 tank and trim ring, which obviously came from another motor. Took me some investigating to narrow down the vintage. Probably never know the exact vintage, but the carburetor number definitely got me to within 2 years.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Thread is 2 and a half years old, I doubt he is still wanting information, especially since he never came back after his original post.

Please follow item 12 of the forum rules.

12. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months UN-LESS you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread. This is considered a hijack. Please start a new thread of your own.