Mercury 1100 SS Shift Cable Adjustment

w7rss

Cadet
I have a merc 1100ss that needs some help. The shift cable needs adjstment but i cant seem to get it right. In neutral the prop does spin both ways but ratchets kind of binds. I have had the lower unit off a couple of times now first was for the impeller replacement second was to check lower shift shaft. i do have a seloc manual for my motor but it is worthless for the shift cable adjustments. When i had this in the water last weekend it does shift t forward and neutral does kind of work but reverse does not move the boat backwards the prop does turn the propr way and when in reverse and on the throttle the motor revs up and the prop spins but no reverse movement. I know it needs to be realigned via lower shift shaft and cables but need instruction on how to do so properly. Any Help/suggestions would be great.

usskydvr

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Mercury 1100 SS Shift Cable Adjustment

First thing is to disconnect the shift cable and just use your hand to move the shift lever on the motor into F-N-R and see if each one works. If it does then put the Control into N and the motor lever into N and adjust the barrel connection so it lines up with the motor lever pivot point when the cable end point is connected. You should be good to go. Check each position.
If the lower unit is incorrect with the cable disconnected and moving the lever by hand, then the lower unit must come off.
Check the lower unit for F-N-R when off and get that working.
Put the LU into N and the shift lever on the motor in the N position and carefully reassemble.

w7rss

Cadet

Ok it switches to forward neutral with ratcheting sound and reverse i can still spin the prop in both directions. It is a bit harder to move now in reverse but still spins both ways. I have the lower unit off today and where true neutral is is between gears it seems would that be a cable adjustment then? Currently the neutral when started the prop moves. I read that it should not is this correct?. I took some pictures of my lower unit with the reverse lock cam plastic? Are these positioned correctly? It is in neutral as of these pics.

Attachments

• P8063725.jpg
    P8063725.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 0
  • P8063720.jpg
    P8063720.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 0
  • P8063726.jpg
    P8063726.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 0

usskydvr

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like you need to move your shift shaft more.
F should not move in either direction
N should move freely in either direction
R should rachet in one direction and not move in the other.
Also your reverse lockout cam is pictured upside down. It should slide in the other way so it goes down farthur.

w7rss

Cadet

The one in the lower leg? or the one laying off to the side that is upside down? The one off to the side goes up in the power head side and slips threw the upper shift shaft.

usskydvr

Chief Petty Officer

The one off to the side

w7rss

Cadet

Thanks for the help it did move in reverse:) Now there are other issues, no compression in 1, 4 and 6 big 0. Tore it down and nice big holes in the cylinders:(( Motor shopping now.

t_money662

Cadet

Sounds like you need to move your shift shaft more.
F should not move in either direction
N should move freely in either direction
R should rachet in one direction and not move in the other.
Also your reverse lockout cam is pictured upside down. It should slide in the other way so it goes down farthur.

Are you sure this is correct? I was told the opposite in one of my posts...F should turn one way and lock in the other, and R should not move in either direction---> http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=434252

I have a Merc 1400 BTW...still trying to adjust my cables as well.

turtles11756

Petty Officer 1st Class

in neutral the prop will spin free , in forward it will rachet in one direction, in reverse it will not turn in either direction