mercury xr4 150 water is steaming hot out pee hole please help

1989 bassbomber

Recruit
i have a 1989 mercury xr4 150 on my bass boat.i have about 2lbs of water pressure at idle and about 15lbs at wot. i have replaced water pump.thermos are good and checked poppet valve. boat runs almost 1/2 on temp gauge in barrel or water hose.goes down to 1/4 when reved up. my thing is the water coming out pee hole is steaming hot.puddles on ground still steaming. took boat out couple of weeks ago and it would run hot enough that the buzzer would come on. so i came home pulled heads and gaskets were seeping. put new gaskets on and still steaming. is it normal for the water to be steaming hot? (can't hardly touch it) also it shoots about a 2ft stream out the pee hole. please help thanks

j_martin

Admiral
Re: mercury xr4 150 water is steaming hot out pee hole please help

It's hard to work with subjective observations. To some, the 150 degree water coming from the telltale would be painful, to others mildly uncomfortable. Actual temperature would be helpful, and you can get that with an ordinary kitchen thermometer.

Hot enough to set off the buzzer just tells me the buzzer went off. It says nothing about where the temp gauge is. It only tells me the buzzer went off.

1. What are the above mentioned readings?
a. What is the temperature of the telltale?
b. Where is the temp gauge needle when the alarm goes off?

Get back with the info. The road forks here.

Hope it helps
John

1989 bassbomber

Recruit

i have the factory water temp.gauge in boat.it's in quarters. buzzer went off when the gauge was a little past 3/4 temp. i'll get the temp of water coming out telltale

latin monkey

Petty Officer 1st Class

you might need a good carb cleaning and adjust the carb mixtures. it might be running too lean and getting the temps up

j_martin

Admiral

Replace the OT sender. It shouldn't go off till the gauge is pegged.

Miss tune will often heat them up. A thorough "tune up" involves carb kits, checking the reeds, bleed line routing, condition, and check valve testing, fuel pump kit, and overall fuel system check (hoses, filters, etc.) Then a complete Link n sync.

It's well worth the trouble to have a reliable good running engine. These V6's are so hot (power density) that a short time of running lean or off time will often burn down the power head.

hope it helps
John