1998 Mariner Jet 30 40 H.P. idle, timing, and sync issues... NEED HELP!

rhillman75

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well I had a problem with it when I put it in the water for the first time the other day. It would not hold idle, it would die when you gave it throttle, and very hard to start. here is what I did. Keep in mind this motor has set for 5 years. Replaced spark plugs, fuel filter, new 87 octane gas, Lucas fuel treatment, pulled the carbs and cleaned them, and I will be doing a new diaphram for the fuel pump when it comes in. Here is the BIG problem. I do not have a local marina to take it to. The closest is 85 miles away. I took it to a mechanic who said he could do the maximum timing, carb sync, idle, and all of the stops. What I have now is a nightmare. He gave up after 2 hours. Now the maximum timing is off, the idle is off, carb sync is off, and all the stops are off. When I say off...I mean they have been made way out of adjustment. What I am hoping is that someone here could give me either range in inches or millimeters for the idle between the inside of the arm iteself and the control arm flange, the range in inches or millimeters for the idle stop screw plastic stop and the block, the range in inches or millimeters for the full throttle stop screw and the arm stop, and how many inches or millimeters of thread to the plastic of the maximum timing bolt from the outside of the arm to the end. I know this is a laundry list, but I have no access to a timing light or any local auto part store. I have followed the manual I downloaded...but there is about 1/4 inch of play in everything. I figured I would try here before I pull it 85 miles and pay the $165.00 per hour the ONLY marina in the city charges. I have included a picture of what I have to deal with now since the mechanic had no clue. All I need is the factory settings if possible (the motor has only seen water 4 times).

Attachments

• UNI_2135.jpg
    UNI_2135.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 0

Coloradolakeboy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1998 Mariner Jet 30 40 H.P. idle, timing, and sync issues... NEED HELP!

Take a look at the sticky's at the top of the first page of our Merc forum. Try to find your manual. If your going to do the work yourself, those would be the minimum, the best would be to break down and buy the Merc (original) Service manual. Also look in the frequently asked questions area of repair and maintenance area. Look for the thread waking a sleeping engine. Get that going and the guys here will help you tweak it.