115 HP 1984 Mariner Inline 6

sreese80

Recruit
I purchased in January of 2010 a 1984 Mariner, tried it out at purchase, the boat started and planed out fine. First time in the water, would bog down when you tried to throttle it up. Sent it to the shop, the mechanice cleaned the carbs, changed out the wires on the power pak, charged me and sent me on my way. First time in the water, would start, but when you put it in gear, would die, straight away, took it back to the mechanic, he put the ears on it, hooked it to the water hose, ran great, back in the water, same thing, start great, put it in gear, and it died. Took it back, he decided it was something in the lower unit, had it about 6 weeks, called me, told me he had done all he could do to come get it. Took it to the water, put it in, it started, but then wouldn't go in gear. I am female, and know absolutely doodly about motors, so my brother, takes it to his mechanics, they rebuild the carburetors, change out the reeds, they have it for about 3 months, they put it in the water, can now at least get it off the trailer, but still bogs down, and once it dies, it is extremely hard to start. They then called my brother, told him they had did all they know to do.......to come get it. I have no clue what to do next. I feel we are "pot committed" because we have already sunk so much money into this motor, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated..........Susan

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 115 HP 1984 Mariner Inline 6

Susan, It sounds like those mechanics do not know too much about that motor. That is not unusual, since a lot of guys with the correct experience have retired.

If the carbs are clean, which after multiple cleanings, they should be, it is likely the idle mixture is too lean.

Can you take a compression and spark test? If the motor has even compression and spark to all cylinders, we can probably fix it up. You should check the link and synch, and adjust the carbs. Can you do this, or do you know someone who can do it for you?

Post back and we can help some...

sreese80

Recruit

Chris, they tell me the compression is great. And I will be upfront and honest with you, I am a complete idiot about this, which is why I am relying on other people to fix it for me. If I just had some guidance and knowledge, at least they couldn't sell me the farm :) Appreciate your reply....Susan

Dave1027

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Here I go again. The boat mech business is full of crooks and charlatans. Been there done that. My advice to you is to sue all who have taken your money so far and keep looking for a good mechanic. Sue the bastards! :mad: I did it and am so glad I did.

If they are so lame they have to give up and tell you they've done all they can do then they should turn in their tools and go become a janitor or something.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Hello Sue,

As Chris1956 said, this is a classic case of the people working on the product having no knowledge of it...

Your original problem sounds like it would have been solved by simply opening (richening) the carb idle mixtures by 1/8 to 1/4 turn... That is a VERY common issue with the in-line 6 engines. They run great on the muffs, out of the water, but as soon as you put them in the water and go for power up, they hesitate.... People tuning them on muffs should get them running nicely, then richen the carbs until they just start to slow a little. THAT is the right way to do it....

As for it not going into gear after they messed with the gearbox, that's just incompetence. Any shop that doesn't check it's work before the engine leave is a shop NOT to go back to....

A good guide to the shop is how busy they are.... If they aren't too busy, they may 'milk' the job... Like your original problem would have been solved and cost, at most, $20. But for a carb strip and clean I bet they charged $200+.... Yes?

Chris......