85 200HP V6 mariner ignition/stator?s

STACKED

Cadet
Alright guys Ive got some questions. This motor is poping out and boging down. Spark was bad on one side only at higher RPMs. so I did the switch box test and the the spark switched sides. So do I have a bad stator? Could it be something else?

j_martin

Admiral
Re: 85 200HP V6 mariner ignition/stator?s

Alright guys Ive got some questions. This motor is poping out and boging down. Spark was bad on one side only at higher RPMs. so I did the switch box test and the the spark switched sides. So do I have a bad stator? Could it be something else?

Did you move the wires, or the switchboxes? In other words, define in detail the phrase "switch box test".

STACKED

Cadet

Sorry about that, just switched the wires.

j_martin

Admiral

Sorry about that, just switched the wires.

Which wires? :D

If you switched the stator wires and the bug moved, the stator is suspect.

hope it helps
John

STACKED

Cadet

Switched the red and red/white with the blue and blue/white

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Yep from what you described the stator is defective...

STACKED

Cadet

Changed the stator and it's a lot better it will actually accelerate in the water now but something is still wrong. It still tries to bog and die sometimes and it will only hit 4300RPMs. There is also a buzzer that starts going off if u go full throttle more than about 15sec . If u hold it at around 3500RPMs it will go all day. What do y'all think

j_martin

Admiral

Changed the stator and it's a lot better it will actually accelerate in the water now but something is still wrong. It still tries to bog and die sometimes and it will only hit 4300RPMs. There is also a buzzer that starts going off if u go full throttle more than about 15sec . If u hold it at around 3500RPMs it will go all day. What do y'all think

Link n sync needed.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

There is also a buzzer that starts going off if u go full throttle more than about 15sec . If u hold it at around 3500RPMs it will go all day. What do y'all think

How old is the water pump and impeller?

Load increases with RPM, which increases the cooling demand. A marginal water pump impeller and/or worn housing can flow enough for part load yet fail to supply adequate cooling at WOT.

Another possibility is leaking head gasket(s), they can hold cyl pressure at moderate load yet leak combustion gases into the cooling system at WOT loads, displacing water and the temps rapidly climb.

Both are assuming that you have a solid tone temp alarm.

If you have a rapid beeping oil alarm then it could be as simple as a misfiring spark plug or wire on the coil that is wired into the oil alarm, usually #4.

STACKED

Cadet

Thanks for the reply. The impeller is new, and the buzzing is constant so I guess it's cooling. That sucks

j_martin

Admiral

Huh, what do u mean?

That engine burns one heckofalot of fuel, and if timing, mix, etc is off, it can easyly overheat, or even self destruct.

Link n sync is the linkage adjustment and ignition timing sequence in the factory service manual. Any time you're swapping parts, you need to do the procedure.

STACKED

Cadet

Where can I get a factory service Manual for this thing

j_martin

Admiral

Where can I get a factory service Manual for this thing

From the factory.:D

Find the part number in the parts list for your engine either at mercury parts express, or mercruiserparts.com