9.8 Merc 9.8 outboard dies after several minutes???

n4cer26

Seaman Apprentice
Hello,

I purchased an old 1968 Mercury 110 9.8 hp outboard motor. I had to replace the fuel lines because one of them was sucking air. In the process I replaced the recirculation line as well because it had cracked while I was moving things around. The exact inside diameter of the recirc hose was not available at my local store so I went with a slightly larger I.D. hose. Now, my motor runs fine but will suddenly die out of the blue after several minutes. The motor will restart after a few pulls and run fine again for several more minutes and then repeat the process. I had to remove the carb during fuel line replacement and re-used the existing carb gasket which seems to have worked ok. I am wondering how crucial the I.D. of that recirc hose is and if it could be causing the motor to quite. Any other ideas on what the problem might be? I am really new to boats and outboard motors.

n4cer26

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 9.8 Merc 9.8 outboard dies after several minutes???

I think I may have figured out why it stalls after a few minutes. When I bought the boat the previous owner mentioned that the gas tank has a "self venting" gas cap. I never gave it another thought. While cleaning the boat this morning I didnt notice anything that would resemble a vent. After close inspection of the cap I have determined it is just solid plastic witgh no venting capability. I think a new cap with vent may just take care of the problem.......the motor runs just fine otherwise.

dburrowes

Recruit
Re: 9.8 Merc 9.8 outboard dies after several minutes???

I think I may have figured out why it stalls after a few minutes. When I bought the boat the previous owner mentioned that the gas tank has a "self venting" gas cap. I never gave it another thought. While cleaning the boat this morning I didnt notice anything that would resemble a vent. After close inspection of the cap I have determined it is just solid plastic witgh no venting capability. I think a new cap with vent may just take care of the problem.......the motor runs just fine otherwise.

Do you have a manual for this motor. i have the same motor and need to service it.

Thanks