No spark 1997 Mercury 225 XXL Offshore

mventura

Recruit
Hello all

I have a 1997 Mercury 225 XXL offshore outboard engine with spark issues. I changed the spark plugs in it and it started up for just a few seconds then shut off i checked and has no spark. I took it to a shop and they had it for 2 weeks and they told me it was the stator, so they changed it and did the samething, started right up ran for a few seconds and shut off. The mechanic checked and there was no spark. I had a mobile mechanic come take a look at it and he checked the stator, ignition switch, camshaft & crankshaft position sensors, coil packs and said they all tested good. The only thing he told me he didnt check because he does not have the equipment was the ECU and its the only thing left in the system. Before i jump and buy this cause im finding it pretty expensive i was wondering if anyone had any input on knowing if they go bad or how i can test the ECU. I bought the boat a few months ago and was told the motor only had 100-150 hours on it. The motor is clean no corrosion on grounds nothing. I am baffled. Had it out one time when i bought it and it ran great, The next time i went to take it out it had no spark. Please help

Coloradolakeboy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: No spark 1997 Mercury 225 XXL Offshore

If you don't get a response to your question... Make a new thread titled:
Testing ECU on 225 XXL. If that doesn't work, post the same queston on www.screamandfly.com you might get some help there as well since they mostly discuss the big V-6's
Good Luck.

Last edited:

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Thats not quite right as the stator will take over if ECU fails and it will run but at reduced power. I would check the CPS(crank position sensor) or shift switch(some models killed one bank) or CDM module harness as the share stop and grounds....

mventura

Recruit

Thanks Faztbullet I bought a manual and plan on checking the CDM this weekend. CPS and shift switch were already cheched and good

mventura

Recruit

Thanks Faztbullet I bought a manual and plan on checking the CDM this weekend. CPS and shift switch were already cheched and good

Found the problem. It was a shorted kill wire on boat between igition switch & motor.
Going to rebuild my carbs & fuel pump this week & hope to be out on the water this weekend