1992 Mercury 100 HP 4 Cylinder (2+2?)

-Jim-

Seaman Apprentice
Folks,

I recently bought (last week - I get delivery next Thursday) a 1991 Larson All American 170 Bowrider Outboard (with a 1992 Mercury 100 HP Engine with ~ 550 Hours on it - 99% in Fresh water). I got it from my Brother who's babied it since new. (The whole family calls it "The Baby" as it's always got a cover on it when not running, and it's stored inside a heated garage for the 9 months it's not in use. There it gets cleaned and pampered.

I'm hopeful the Merc will go on forever but I'm realistic enough to know stuff happens as these machines get older. I've searched around and can't find much of anything posted on a 1992 vintage Merc 100 HP 4 cylinder (2+2?). I figure that's either a good thing (they may be rock solid :p) or a bad thing (they are so flaky everyone dumped them ages ago :().

Could you offer an opinion one way or the other?

One other thing. We've always thought that a few more HP would go a long way on this boat. (For us gents who've added a few extra pounds over the years and deep water starting is getting a little tougher.) We've sort of dreamed about moving up to a 150HP Merc. But here in Canada I was told by an Insurance Agent (when I bought insurance for my "new to me" boat last Friday) that if I exceeded the Rating Plate supplied by the boat OEM (Larson in my case - @ 125 HP) the insurance covereage would be invalid. Does that hold true in the USA at all? :confused:

-Jim-

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1992 Mercury 100 HP 4 Cylinder (2+2?)

I just got back from 2 weeks of running this motor at all different speeds. Trolling => it was too fast for rainbow so I had to cycle it in and out of gear; water skiing => it went fabulous although a little more hole shot would be appreciated with bigger folks; and cruising => at near the 1850 RPM cut off sometimes which performed marvelously. All in all we are very pleased with this Boat and Motor.

I'm going to try to figure out how to mount my Min Kota electric this fall so we can fish from the Boat. it would be nice to somehow mount it onto the rear of the Merc so I could use the steering effectively.