oil pressure erratic 2001 75hp mercury 4 stroke big foot

jhcreech

Seaman Apprentice
I have recently overhauled this motor, i have a low pressure oil alarm going off. I installed a manual oil pressure gauge and at idle the oil press is about 10psi, when the engine is revved it goes up to 70psi and then the press back at idle is 40psi then I shut off engine then restarted the oil pressure is back at 10 psi any help would be greatly appreciated. History of the motor, I got it from a lady who put water in the crankcase so her husband couldn't use it after her divorce. so I disassembled the engine, replaced all valves, springs, retainers and keepers, I reringed the pistons and replaced all the gaskets, t-belt, water pump, t-stat and all seals, able to reuse all the bearings, crank, camshafts both, rods, the oil pump was in good shape and was able to move the regulator piston not stuck open. does anyone know if their are and other pressure relief valves or maybe an internal plug I may have removed from an oil galley. I took the manual press gauge out and used shop air to blow through the galley and it seems that air flows freely from oil fill cap (cap removed) like a plug or something not reinstalled, please help thanks!!!!!

jhcreech

Seaman Apprentice
Re: oil pressure erratic 2001 75hp mercury 4 stroke big foot

the problem i found was that the oil pressure regulator in the oil pump was sticking, thanks for the many responses!!!!