ticking noise from 20HP Mercury

carl0099

Cadet
I have 20HP Merc been told it's a '79 but when I look at sites advertised on here to figure out the year it looks to me like it may be '80 or '81 but haven't been able to find anything matching my serial number. The problem is when the boat's running fast there's a ticking noise. I was told that the starter gear is hitting the flywheel gear. I always thought there was a little spring on top of the starting gear but mechanic told me there was never a spring on this year motor. Is this something that needs to be addressed? Any info would be appreciated.

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: ticking noise from 20HP Mercury

You might just need a small shim for your starter motor if thats whats actually making the noise. Sometimes if the pawl springs are weak the pawls dont pull back far enough and can 'rub'.

carl0099

Cadet

what are pawl springs can they be replaced?? thanks for your help !

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade

When you use the pull-start, the pawls are the little tabs that kick-out and engage the flywheel. Once you release the recoil they have a spring that pulls them back in out of the way. They should be mounted on top of the flywheel under the recoil mechanism. Whats your serial # so I can look at a pic of your motor?

carl0099

Cadet

my ser # is 5729231 its electric start. dont know the year have been told 79 -80-81 so dont know for sure? thanks

carl0099

Cadet

my motor is electric start not manuel start does that make a differance??

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Don't you have a recoil starter? If not I'm totally off.I know you have an electric start, just most smaller outboards also have a recoil starter.

carl0099

Cadet

no recoil starter on this motor . havent been able to find any info on this motor ? cant find out the year even ??? ser# is 5729231? thanks for your help!