1996 Mercury 115 loses power

dswanson79

Cadet
I have a 1996 115 mercury 4 cylinder that just started to lose power as it is throttled up. It will usually make it to plane and than the rpms (power) just drop it does not die out completely and sometimes hesitates as the rpm's drop. It starts up and idles and drives fine up to about 3000 rpms. I Changed the plugs and fuel filter and tried squeezing the gas bulb with wot and also removed the gas cap with no change. Did notice early in the cool morning it would run fine for about 10 minutes and then the problem would start again. I have read allot of the posts with similar problems but not with all of my symptoms. Seems to be a very wide range of possibilities causing the problem. After research I'm thinking its the Stator high speed side? Any info would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

dswanson79

Cadet
Re: 1996 Mercury 115 loses power

Just a quick follow up for anyone having similar issues I replaced the stator and it solved the problem. Quick tip to prevent this problem use a locking nut on your battery terminals. The positive came loose and fryed the stator.