Mariner 135 HP- V-6, 1997 model year

sullmate

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I was cruising yesterday at slow speed for 1/2 hour. Suddenly there was a steady loud intermittent beeping sound coming from the oil/overheat warning buzzer. I put the engine in neutral and revved the engine, then the noise went away only to return several minutes later. Back at the dock, if I kept the engine revving at 1600 rpm's( in neutral) the intermittent beeping would stop. Under 1600 rpm the alarm would sound.
I believe a steady intermittent beeping suggested an oil problem while a continuous non stop beeping suggests an overheat problem.
The oil tank is about 1/2 full. The smaller oil reserve under the engine cover was full. The screen in the oil tank was clean & not clogged.
The engine was not overheating (150 Degrees approx.)
I have never had this problem before. Is the oil pump going? How do I test the alarm which I can see under the dash.
Thanks for all your help & Happy 4th of July to all.
Sullmate

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: Mariner 135 HP- V-6, 1997 model year

The alarm module compares the signal from the oil pump rotation sensor to the firing pulse connected from the green wire connected one of the ignition coils.

Whenever the module reads a difference between the two the alarm sounds.

You could be developing an ignition problem on that cyl, a poor wire connection, ignition module beginning to fail, a trigger beginning to fail.

Testing each component is necessary to determine the cause.

sullmate

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Charlie B.
How would I go about testing the ignition components. What tools would I need.
Where should I start. Thanks for your help.
Sullmate

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Download the FREE Ignition Troubleshooting Guide from CDIElectronics.com

They literally have written the book, explaining most every brand and model ignition, what, where and how to test each component.

A DVA meter or DVA Adaptor is a necessary tool for reliable measurement.

j_martin

Admiral

I was cruising yesterday at slow speed for 1/2 hour. Suddenly there was a steady loud intermittent beeping sound coming from the oil/overheat warning buzzer. I put the engine in neutral and revved the engine, then the noise went away only to return several minutes later. Back at the dock, if I kept the engine revving at 1600 rpm's( in neutral) the intermittent beeping would stop. Under 1600 rpm the alarm would sound.
I believe a steady intermittent beeping suggested an oil problem while a continuous non stop beeping suggests an overheat problem.
The oil tank is about 1/2 full. The smaller oil reserve under the engine cover was full. The screen in the oil tank was clean & not clogged.
The engine was not overheating (150 Degrees approx.)
I have never had this problem before. Is the oil pump going? How do I test the alarm which I can see under the dash.
Thanks for all your help & Happy 4th of July to all.
Sullmate

That's the oil alarm. Add oil at 50:1 to your fuel just in case the alarm is working properly and you actually have an oil problem. The tradeoff is possibly fouled plugs against a certainly blown powerhead.