Mariner 75 HP Trim Motor

Anthony Nygra

Recruit
Hey folks; new to the sight but heard good things about this forum. I have an older Mariner 75 HP outboard that the trim seems to have a mind of its own. When I hook up the battery and activate the trim, the motor will automatically trim all the way up. I can stop the action by pressing the trim switch on the control unit (Quicksilver CDR 2000), but as soon as I let go of the switch it continues all the way up to the stops. Once it reaches the top it will continue to run. The positive connector on the battery heats up shortly after this occurrs. I think the problem is electrical, but was hoping for some help. My first thought was the trim switch on the control handle might be shot, but I didn't want to spend the money and time replacing the switch if it might be a different problem.

Anthony Nygra

Recruit
Re: Mariner 75 HP Trim Motor

bhile,

Thanks for the reply! A couple questions: 1) Where is the up relay/selonoid located and 2) Can it be tested?

I will set out to locate a manual today. I'm not sure how difficult it will be to find a 1984 Mariner manual.

Tony

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Mariner 75 HP Trim Motor

Not sure where they are located on your motor but the easiest way to test is to swap them. Don't be surprised if it starts working while you are checking it as jarring may release it. If it does it should be replaced as it will stick again. They are not very expensive.