1990 115 merc steering cable / tilt motor(2 part rant

jman652003

Recruit
i am going to be lifting my motor off of my boat to replace the transom. i have everything disconnected except the steering cable. it seems that it will just slide through the tilt tube when i lift and move my motor to the port side. i have remove the cable nut from the tilt tube and also the linkage from the port side of the tilt tube but i cant slide it all the way out of the tilt tube before it seems i am putting to much pressure on the rod that is in the tilt tube, and i don't want to brake anything. i have worked on all kinds of things but never a boat.....please help.... also i have to work on my trim tilt motor it seems to have quit working for some odd reason ,the up and down relays click and the motor leads get warm but the motor wont turn so i assume i need to replace it . can i just remove it when the motor is off or do i still have to do the whole motor and pump removal procedure .

Last edited:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1990 115 merc steering cable / tilt motor(2 part rant

Normally if you slide the motor all the way port, on the transom, the steering cable will have enough space to pull out. If that won't work, lift the motor off the transom, and pull the boat forward (or pull the motor back). The motor will swivel and the cable will pull out. Make sure to turn the steering wheel all the way left to shorten the steering rod the most.