1985 60 hp Mercury shifting problem

rchafin294

Cadet
Serial # is 6548797. When I shift in to forward or reverse the motor will move at idle speed. When I give it more gas the motor revs up but continues to run at idle speed. This happened when I was on the water today I was going down the lake and all of the sudden the motor reved up and my speed reduced to an idle. I brought the boat home and put muffs on it and shifted into gear fine and the prop was spinning. I shut the motor off and turned the prop by hand and it turned the engine over. Before this the motor ran perfectly never any trouble what so ever.

k dogg

Cadet
Re: 1985 60 hp Mercury shifting problem

almost sounds like a spun hub on the prop.

Jacket4life

Petty Officer 1st Class

Second k dogg, classic symtoms of spun prop. MY test: put it in gear at the controller. Prop should spin CW (and ratchet) but when turned CCW, should lock. WEARING GLOVES (prop is sharp!), turn the prop CCW until you turn the motor over. If hub is bad, it will "slip", and not let you turn motor over. If hub is good, you can turn motor over this way.

Slipped hub: remove and take to local prop shop. $40-60 fix. Here in TX at least.

rchafin294

Cadet

When I turn the prop cw while the controller is in forward the prop spins and I can hear a clicking sound. When I put it in reverse and spin the prop either way it turns the motor over.

k dogg

Cadet

that is not always the way to check spun prop dry may allow you to turn the engine but wet and it will slip that engine is putting more touque to that prop then you can appy with your hands on the blades the best way is a visual inspection of the hub the in gear ratchets this way but locks the other and reverse locks both ways is a good way to check for linkage and lower unit excessive wear and out of adjustment

rchafin294

Cadet

I checked things out a little further and its spun the prop. Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.