Setting the timing - Mercury 60

Status
Not open for further replies.

BassnKY

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am trying to set the timing on my 84 Mercury 60. I got this off another post for setting the maximum spark advance. It seems logical but just wanted to get another point of view. Or, it the original poster (I don't remember who) could give me some help.

"Set WOT timing while cranking with the starter.

Remove all the spark plugs to reduce the load on the starter.

Ground all the spark plug wires, rig paper clips, alligator clips, etc., and wires to a good ground(s).

Remove the prop or be VERY CAREFUL of the spinning prop while cranking.

Use a remote starter button to trigger the starter relay/solenoid.

Rig your timing light on #1 plug wire.

Set throttle control to WOT in Forward gear.

Hit the starter button, crank the motor and observe the WOT Timing, adjust as necessary.

WATCH OUT for that prop if you didn't bother to take it off!"

I tried this on my 60 and it is showing at 10+ ATDC. The engine starts and runs good so, I assume I am doing something wrong.

BassnKY

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Setting the timing - Mercury 60

Can anyone tell me the best way to set the timing if I don't have a test tank and the nearest water is 45-60 minutes away?

Speedwell69

Cadet

I'd have thought that you would leave it in neutral to do the timing in this way. Funnily enough I've got to do the same to my 85 60hp tomorrow

verado7

Chief Petty Officer

you did it wrong - and missed some important steps - get yourself a manual and it will explain how to and that you need to first use a dial indicator to find top dead center - then you can adjust max advance - final number at wot should be 23deg. btdc on your engine - dont just set it there without first doing the initial step .

BassnKY

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the response guys.

Speedwell69:
I guess I might have not explained completely. I am trying to set the maximum Spark advance. In neutral, the controls will not advance completely.

verado7:
Can you tell me which steps I missed? I have a Seloc manual and unfortunately, It only tells me how to set this with the engine running at 5,000 RPM. I have a chipped piston and on a previous thread ("Chipped Piston") I was advised to retard the timing 2 degrees.

The timing light I used is new and I am wondering if it might be defective.

Fuzzytbay

Chief Petty Officer

You need to first confirm, that the degrees marker is correct. ie at zero degrees, or TDC is where the piston actualy is at TDC in the cylinder. Other wise your marker could be out. Giving you the wrong reading. Thats kind of important to check.

Speedwell69

Cadet

Speedwell69:
I guess I might have not explained completely. I am trying to set the maximum Spark advance. In neutral, the controls will not advance completely.

Well as I said I was doing this today on my own engine. As stated in the prevoius post it is important to ensure that the timing pointer is in the correct place. Disconnect your throttle linkage move the throttle so that the spark advance lever is at maximum and resting on it's stop. Crank it over with plugs out and grounded and it should be easy. I'm going to guess that you either didn't have yours set a full spark advance or that you are reading the marks wrong on your flywheel because getting an after tdc reading seems a bit to far out for timing pointer adjustment if yours is anything like my engine.

BassnKY

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the help guys!!!!

I wont be able to check it at TDC until tomorrow but will post the results.

BassnKY

Petty Officer 2nd Class

UPDATE:
OK, I checked the position of the timing marks compared to TDC. See the attached pics.

It appears to be off by one bolt spacing of the ring on top. There is a mark on the ring and flywheel like someone has taken the flywheel apart at one time. I looked at the exploded view and it does not say if the flywheel comes apart. Does anyone know if the flywheel separates?

I am thinking that either someone has taken the flywheel apart and didn't get it back together correctly OR maybe the key has sheered. I am leaning toward reassembled wrong as I have never had to adjust the timing in the 8 years I have owned it AND it is running good.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Attachments

• Timing Mark 2.jpg
    Timing Mark 2.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Timing Mark 1.jpg
    Timing Mark 1.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 6

verado7

Chief Petty Officer

the flywheel is keyed so it can only go on one way - check for a sheared key first - you will have to pull the flywheel off with a special puller that threads into the center of teh flywheel - if thats okay then - there should be an adjustable pointer to line up with tdc - if not - scribe a mark on the motor where tdc is and use that as a refrence point .

CV16

Chief Petty Officer

I got this from an old Merc site that is no more. Glad I saved most of what I used.

You don't need a timing light... Look for articles on static timing in the
group. The most important thing is to find the true top dead center and
mark the flywheel.

It's pretty easy really...

a) find TDC and mark flywheel (dial indicator or even a pencil)
b) turn flywheel clockwise to 21 degrees BTDC (DO NOT TURN BACKWARDS)
c) place #1 spark plug lead into spark tester and ground to engine block
(spark plug will do)
d) turn ignition on (DO NOT START)
e) advance throttle lever until spark is heard or seen
f) tighten maximum advance set screw and recheck

Maximum advance is now set.

Follow the same general process for throttle pickup setting and you are done
with the timing.

On my motor, the decal didn't have marks between 15 and 25 degrees. I
traced the decal onto a piece of paper where it did have marks and then
marked my own location on the decal. I believe .101" BTDC is 21 degrees
however I'm not sure. I also turned the maximum advance screw IN 1/2 turn
just in case...

It's hard to hold a timing light steady and set the timing while flying
across the lake and most of us don't have a test tank suitable for this.
You can also do it by backing the boat into the water and leaving it on the
trailer. I can't put my motor down when the boat is tied to the trailer so
that's out for me.

BassnKY

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK guys. Sorry for the delay.

The key on the flywheel is not sheared. I took the bolts out of the center ring because as I stated before, I suspected that someone had taken the flywheel assembly apart.and I was correct. When they put it back together, they were off by one bolt hole. Once I did this, the pointer aligned with 0 degrees when it was at TDC.
So, I put the timing light on it per the previously stated "Set WOT timing while cranking with the starter". However no mater how far in I adjusted the maximum spark advance screw, it did not retard the timing. So... I sat done and read the WHOLE chapter in my Seloc manual (Even the parts that were for different engines) and low and behold, there is a small 2 sentence paragraph in the "General" section that states "Due to the electronic nature of the ignition system, any maximum timing advance adjustments will not be reflected using a timing light while the engine is being turned over by the starter" OK????? My only guess would be that the ignition is automatically set to at 23 degrees to facilitate easy starting. Anybody have a thought on my theory?

CV16 That is a neat trick I will try that tomorrow. If that does not seem to want to work, it looks like it is time to tow it to the lake, Install the safety chain on the bow and see if I can it that way. Does anybody have any advice for the safest way to do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.