mercury tracker pro series 40 hp fuel problem

I just bought a 40 hp mercury 95 model oil injected and it will idol around the lake all day but when you throttle up it will run about 30 sec, and cut off (starving for fuel ) so I checked the primer ball it was fine checked fuel filter and carbs they were clean , I checked the compression on the engine 1,2,4 have 120 psi and 3 has 30psi so does the compression affect the fuel delivery system?

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
Re: mercury tracker pro series 40 hp fuel problem

I had the same motor, same problems, your carbs are clogged, take the rig in and have them rebuilt,, When you are done boating at the end of the day, disconnect the fuel line and run it dry. The blended fuels are causing havoc. have your mechanic redo the compression test. getting a good reading off the bottom cyle is a pain:)

carbs has been rebuilt i have read that the compression controls the fuel pump is this correct

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

Could be the fuel pump. Merc has a TSB out on it and their kits come with newly designed check valves. Seems E-10 can cause the edges of the older ones to curl up and cause that problem. Kit runs about 20 bucks and is easy to put in.

Fishtracker68

Recruit

I just bought a boat. It has a Mariner Proseries Tracker 40HP '93 and I am having similar issues. The motor will idle fine, but when put in reverse or forward it dies out.
I have to take it in to get it checked out.

Fishtracker68

Recruit

All is good now! The carb may have picked up some thrash from an empty gas tank. The dealer cleaned the carbs, added a in-line filter on the bulb hose and all is cranking fine. Now I can concentrate on fishing. BTW, I will be investing in a repair manual so I can do future work myself.

Fish On!