1997 Mercury 200 Offshore Bogging out

shankforce

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have 2 issues.
1. When I run the motor out it runs great I can run it for a hour or more no problems but when I stop and start it up after a decent run it boggs when I put it in gear. If I sit and rev the rpms in nuetral it will eventually go smooth and act as if no problems.
2. I had this motor installed a couple months ago and I noticed they did not hook up my over heat speaker up does anyone know how to do this. The speaker is in the hull by my radio and other gages my old motor was simular 2.5 liter 175 mercury looked just like this one under the hood the only difference is the oil injection is now removed so I only need the overheat alarm to work.

BullyARed

Cadet
Re: 1997 Mercury 200 Offshore Bogging out

How long since you replaced fuel filter? Check it!

shankforce

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think it was new a couple months ago but I will check it.

shankforce

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was wondering if there was anyone out there that has expericed simular symtoms. It almost seems like it is loading up after running at low to idle speeds for a while and when I shut it down and restart it I have issues where the motor does not want to run in gear so I have to rev it up for a minute then slowly go forward then it goes away. It doesent seem like a filter thing becouse it would run crappy most of the time if it was. Maybe one of my low speed jets needs ajusting.

ufish2

Recruit

Shankforce, you asked if anyone has experienced the same thing, well exactly. I have spent over $3000 having the local boat shop replace parts and nothing has resulted in the engine running well. In addition to the booging down, my fuel mileage has never been that good, but it seems worse. I was told the next step is to replace the stator although a friend that deals with stators everyday says mine is fine. I can go back to the motor, lift the cover, and jiggles wires. Most of the time it will run like it ought to. My hunch is by increasing the engine RPM's while in neutral you are causing vibration that does something to cause the engine to run well. I suspect it has to do with the ECM. Have you check to make sure all the ground wires are properly connected? The last time I took my boat to mechanic, he left 3 ground wires disconnected. You might also look for a wire that may be partially melted after the engine was hot and is not visible unless a careful inspection is done. Check the plug going into the ECM and ensure it is snug. Have you checked the voltage while the engine is running? If you find out, would love to know.

SGT.James

Recruit

Yes that is happening with my 1974 85h outboard

SGT.James

Recruit

it seems when I throttle my 85p out board boggs down then shuts off

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

This thread is over 6 months old.

Both of you need to start your OWN thread, list your motor, problems, and what you have tried or had done, THEN we will have a better understanding of your problem and be able to suggest a course of action to get it sorted out and working well again.

shankforce

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I found out what the problem was I thought I all ready postd this. There was a chunk of magnet from the flywheel stuck to the trigger arm. This caused all kinds of havoc. From the engine over loading to varring timeing on the time gun, not wanting to start after I ran her and also slow top speed and low high rpm. Once I removed the magnet which I suspect has been there from new I bought this used. This motor ran like brand new I suppose a few slight ajustments are in order. The marina who sold this must of known something was not right with this motor. The magnet was stopping 1 third of the movement in the trigger arm only reaching 4200 rpm in which this motor will hit 5600. Well I should call him and rub it in after he played dumb on the phone he proballly would have charged more for the motor if he figured it out. LOL screw him (west coast Marina in port charlotte florida)