1998 Mercury 200HP V6 Offshore outboard bogging at high RPMs

jengimann

Recruit
I have a 98 merc outboard (200HP, V6, OFFSHORE MODEL)...This is my issue.

The boat has been sitting for 3 years...Before running the boat I needed to change the water impeller (done), I also changed the plugs, drained the old fuel out of the internal tank, refueld with the recommended 50/1 oil/fuel mix and added STABIL.

Well, on the first trip, the boat ran fine for 2 hours. Ran it on high RPM and low RPM. After 2 hours the motor began to bog down and DIE when I ran it at high RPMs (4000+)

Today, I took the boat out again after noticing that a small black line with white stripes was broken, this line runs from the bottom of the manifold to the top (maybe a vacuum line). I replaced the line. The boat ran fine unless I got it over 4000 RPM again. I was out with a friend from 11 am - 6 pm (fishing and relaxing).

Any ideas of what this could be? I was thinking that maybe the high speed fuel pickup in the carbs are gummed up from the old fuel remnants. If this is the case, how hard is it to to rebuild/clean these?

HELP!

BullyARed

Cadet
Re: 1998 Mercury 200HP V6 Offshore outboard bogging at high RPMs

More likely the carburators need to be cleaned. Change fuel filter and fuel/water separator as well. Cleaning the carb is easy. Just remove one at the time, start with the top one first. Pay attention in the order that you remove the part. Take notes/pictures if needed. Make sure buy new set of gaskets. Don't have to remove the iddle speed screws unless you know how to adjust the iddle speed. If you do, take notes how many turn you have to do to remove it. NOW, before taking the carb a part, you may want to try with spraying the carb with carb cleaner first and give it a try.