1995 Mercury Black Max 175 hp with fuel problems??

pghrob

Recruit
Hi...I am new to the site and was wondering if someone can provide me some assistance. I just bought a 1995 Bayliner Rendezvous with the 1995 Merc. Black Max 175 hp from a man who took meticulous care of the boat. He was a perfect seller and a real gentleman. He said he never put Ethanol in this boat. He had not run it in about 18 months.

He delivered the boat to my house (my truck was broke) and the deal was that we would complete the purchase once I saw the boat run well. We took it out and there was a steering problem. So he agreed to fix it at the marine repair place the he has used since he bought the boat new.

We picked it up from the repair place together and the steering issue was corrected. He also threw in a tune up. We went straight to the boat launch and we road the boat from there to my home and put the boat on my lift. Everything went great. My son even video recorded the moment and threw it on youube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6ZiRCisaHk

A few weeks later we go to take it out. The battery (a 2006) was weak and barely got it started. I flooded the motor while trying to start it. Rather than go out, I simply let it run on the lift in neutral. The water flowed out of the outboard and after about 3 minutes I shut if off satisfied that all I needed was a battery. I did notice that the fuel filter/water separator looked a bit old, so I thought I would replace that too.

Got the new battery and replaced the filter. The gas that came out of the old filter was poured into an empty jar. It was clear, with no water and no foul smells.

We started the boat. Drove out of the slip and it got on a plane and ran really well for about 60 second to a minute and a half. Then it started to chug like it was starving for gas. It would stall. We could restart it and it would run, get on a plane then stall again after about 15 -20 seconds. We repeated this about 2 or 3 more times, trying to get closer to my slip. Finally it would not start again. We rowed the 23 foot boat back.

Can any body offer me any suggestions on where I should start my trouble shooting? I have to think it is something easy because this boat ran perfectly when I took hold of it. Watch the video yourself. That was about a 15 minute ride at that speed. The only thing that changed is the battery, the fuel filter, and the pilot.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Also, does anybody know where I can find any online versions of the repair manual for that motor? Thanks again.

j_martin

Admiral
Re: 1995 Mercury Black Max 175 hp with fuel problems??

What was involved in a "tuneup"?

Where I'm going. A fuel pump kit is considered by many if not most as an annual maintenance item. It costs about 20 bucks, takes about a half hour with small hand tools to throw in.

Other aging items, O rings in the bayonet fuel fitting, primer bulb, hoses.

Basically, something in fuel delivery has failed since you took possession. You just have to find it.

One caveat. Don't try to run it hard if it's starving for fuel. It takes very little time under those conditions to burn down a power head, making it functionally equivalent to an anchor.

hope it helps
john

pghrob

Recruit
Re: 1995 Mercury Black Max 175 hp with fuel problems??

Thanks, John for the helpful reply. The tune up was a spark plug change. I am going to call the gentleman who sold me the boat to get the specifics as he paid the repair shop bill and I was getting the boat on the trailer. I did a bad job of paying specific attention if that tuneup included anything else. I will call the guy who sold it to me to see if it involved any fuel line maintenance.

I will go ahead and check the condition of the hoses and see if is possibly those other aging items you listed.

Have a great day and thanks again.

Robert