Mercury 1999 Bluewater 150hp V6, thermal valve help please

Apriliain

Recruit
Been working on a fuel problem on this engine and seem to have it solved, but whilst doing the work i noticed that there is a brass T piece on the bottom carb that has no hose attached, on further investigation it shows in the manual that there should be a hose from the outer spigot on the thermal air valve to this T piece on the bottom of the lower carb, is this correct?

Anyway, what i found whilst working on the motor was that the outer spigot on the thermal air valve had the pipe from the top of the oil tank reservoir fitted to it.

I can not find a diagram anywhere that will show me what pipe/pipes should go onto the thermal air valve spigots, i understand that one is open with nothing attached.

I am a bit puzzled as to why there is no pipe at all from the thermal air valve going to the lower carb.

Can anyone help with what should be connected to the thermal air valve spigots, and also where the pipe from the top of the oil reservoir goes to, or is it open and not connected to anywhere?

Many thanks in advance of any help

Iain:)

Apriliain

Recruit
Re: Mercury 1999 Bluewater 150hp V6, thermal valve help please

after looking at some diagrams it looks like the pipe from the oil tank is open ended with a 2psi valve and should not be connected to the thermal air valve at all, am i correct in saying that?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

The thermal air valve should have only one hose and it goes to the lower carb, the other side is open

Apriliain

Recruit

Many thanks Faztbullet, what i am trying to determine now is what i do with this pipe that come from the top of the oil reservoir as it was the only pipe fitted to the thermal air valve, it looks like this is breather with a relief valve for the oil reservoir and should not have been fitted to the thermal air valve at all, am i correct in saying this pipe from the oil reservoir should be left open?

Thanks for your help, much appreciated:)

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Yes it should be disconnect from air valve, that is a check valve on oil tank and should only have a 3-4 inch piece of hose on the valve, it just hangs down

Apriliain

Recruit

many thanks again fella, that is what i thought but really needed someone knowledgeable to just confirm things for me as i don't want to cause damage by having pipes fitted to the wrong place, very much appreciated Faztbullet:)