1995 mariner 2 stroke water pump questions

kyle26nluvnit

Recruit
I recently purchased a 95 aluminum tracker bass boat and it has a 60hp mariner 2 stroke # 0G225570. I know from previous boats i have owned that there is a problem with the cooling system on the engine. Right now the engine starts up great everytime you turn the key, but the coolant passage on the back is only dribbling water instead of squirting it out. I have found the parts online but before i order them i was wondering if anyone can provide me with a diagram of the system so i can make sure its not just clogged. I had another boat that did the same thing and it was only because of a mud dobber nest the pump did not need to be replaced. any help is greatly appreciated

emckelvy

Commander
Re: 1995 mariner 2 stroke water pump questions

Here's a link to parts diagrams:

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/selectDocs.asp?doc_nbr=817352+91

These guys have diagrams as well: www.boats.net and www.crowleymarine.com

Your motor has a thermostat, so you may not get as much discharge out the telltale until the motor warms up & the 'stat opens. In that case, the discharge will probably be on the warm-ish side.

You can try blowing compressed air up the telltale and if it's clogged that should help.

Note that you might want to replace the impeller regardless, since you just got the motor there's no way to know (unless you also got service records) when it was last replaced.

Along with the impeller, it can't hurt to pull the thermostat and poppet assy for inspection. All you'll need for that job is a new thermostat cover gasket.

If this motor is a Salty Dog, use caution on any bolts that don't want to come right out. They may be stuck and will require use of heat & penetrant to get out without breaking. A thin coat of Permatex #3 aviation-type gasket dressing or even boat bearing grease on the threads of the bolt will prevent this from happening in the future.

HTH & Happy Boating...........ed

kyle26nluvnit

Recruit
Re: 1995 mariner 2 stroke water pump questions

Hey thanks for the help. I havent run the engine more than a few minutes to make sure it was running right. how long does it usually take before it would start pumping harder with the thermostat? another question, the guy said the only thing wrong with the engine is that it does not charge the battery when the motor is running. Is this problem usually just the voltage regulator/rectifier bridge? oh also luckily for me this has been a freshwater boat all its life and the previous owner had it from new and seems to have taken very good care of it. I need to give him a call and see if he can let me know exactly what and when was serviced.