98 mercury 150 V6 carb 2-smoke..Dies under load..runs fine at idle

nonninator

Cadet
I have a 150 V6 2 stroke merc Salt water..its a 98..It will start fine..idle fine...but once I put it in the water i can't even back off the trailer...it dies with anything past clutch..I have replaced fuel pump, primer bulb, plugs, water pump, and I just cleaned the carbs..(which looked clean to start)..I'm really frustrated...When in nuetral it will rev and everything just won'
t go under load....Everything seems normal in neutral idle, sound, everything...Whats the deal? all hoses are good no leaks or collapsing...help

j_martin

Admiral
Re: 98 mercury 150 V6 carb 2-smoke..Dies under load..runs fine at idle

I have a 150 V6 2 stroke merc Salt water..its a 98..It will start fine..idle fine...but once I put it in the water i can't even back off the trailer...it dies with anything past clutch..I have replaced fuel pump, primer bulb, plugs, water pump, and I just cleaned the carbs..(which looked clean to start)..I'm really frustrated...When in nuetral it will rev and everything just won'
t go under load....Everything seems normal in neutral idle, sound, everything...Whats the deal? all hoses are good no leaks or collapsing...help

Check your spark on all cylinders. It could have a whole bank down and rev right off the top with no load.

hope it helps
John

nonninator

Cadet
Re: 98 mercury 150 V6 carb 2-smoke..Dies under load..runs fine at idle

checked spark..not the problem....i adjusted carb mix screws and got it to the point where it could go past clutch and run...but not like it should...So i think thats where my problem is. Any other possibilities? (By the way, could the valve that comes from carb to the head cause this...some temp valve forgot what it is called somebody will know) thanks