Starter problem! 1994 Mariner 40 2-cyl *** solved ***

Mali

Cadet
Hi!
I have a 1994 Mariner 40 (0G082938, 2-cyl) and have starter issues since winter storage.
The starter spins ok, but the bendix runs up to the flywheel and engages, but doesn't lock. The starter axel keeps spinning and after a few seconds the bendix lowers down again.

Can this happen when the battery is bad (haven't charged it since I took up the boat)?

How is the "locking" of the bendix to the starter axel supposed to work? Friction/centrifugal force?

Thanks for any help...

Mali

Cadet
Re: Starter problem! 1994 Mariner 40 2-cyl

Re: Starter problem! 1994 Mariner 40 2-cyl

Ok, solved it. In case anyone else struggling with the same issue I thought I'd share.
I read up on some posts here about similar problems, and found basically two possible sources
(1) Electrical (bad battery or connections)
(2) Lubrication of the bendix and starter driveshaft (don't know the proper term in english).

For (1) I measeured up the power at the starter and it was fine, so battery and connections ok.

For (2) I read some posts recommending grease for lubrication, but even more posts stating NOT to use grease, but a thin oil.

Well, I'd been using grease, so I figured I'll try the cheapest and quickest fix first and cleaned the bendix and driveshaft of all grease I could see (did not take it a part) with some paper tissue. On first try the bendix engaged fine and locked onto the flywheel and worked just as it should!

So, do NOT use grease on bendix or starter driveshaft!

It still puzzles me though, how a design can be so sensitive about thicknesss of the lube. I didn't use much grease and the temp is 20+ C (68+ F), so the grease was pretty runny.

Can someone explain why the bendix failed due to the greasin'?:confused: