1961 mercury 800 Starts in reverse but not in forward

jrturbowon

Cadet
I just bought my first boat for fishing it is a 1959 Hydroswift with a 1961 mercury 800 (80hp) direct gear. I only paid 225.00. I it started right up in reverse but when I try to start it in forward the starter just spins it does not turn the motor over to start it. Does anyone here know anything about these engines? Please help. Thanks. Also I think I messed up by filling the air screw on the lower end up with gear oil. Let me know. Thanks JR

gwmark78

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1961 mercury 800 Starts in reverse but not in forward

You need to clean the bendix. It's probably gummed up and sticky. You do not have to take the starter off, just remove the cotter pin and nut at the top and slide the assembly off- take note of sequence. clean all in solvent and lightly oil- do not use grease as was originally used. You need to fill from the bottom plug with the top screw out until you push some gear out the top.

jrturbowon

Cadet

Thanks it worked starts right up. Just need to get it registered.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Be careful with that engine, it didnt get its nickname "dockbuster" by accident or maybe it did!!:D:D

jrturbowon

Cadet

I will..Thanks. I did not know what it was when I bought it.Iwish it had a neutral

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Shift S-L-O-W-L-Y, giving the motor time to come to a FULL STOP before attempting to start in reverse.

Two strokes don't care which way they turn and run, they will just as happily backwards as they will forwards.

The only place I found water pump parts for one of these was at Sea-Way Marine, in Seattle. And they are pretty proud of them parts!