Poppet Valve Help 1996 150 Mariner

Fishslick

Cadet
Hello fellow boaters,

I have viewed the site several times for help with various things, but this is the first time I have posted.

I was having problems with my motor running hotter than normal. I narrowed it down to the poppet valve. Diaphram had a hole it in and it was stuck.

The kit came in today and while I was getting ready to change it, I knocked the small rubber gasket down inside the motor while I was trying to get it out. How stupid/careless can one get? So here is the question.....

Will that little rubber gasket be enough to block any of waterways, or casue other damage? Could it possbily be forced out through the exhaust? I know it should be removed, but can it be ran the way it is without any damage?

I really appreciate any and all opinions on this.

gss036

Commander
Re: Poppet Valve Help 1996 150 Mariner

You are probably referring to the grommet (round doughnut shape) that fits over the hole w/ribs to fit over the metal. You will need that in place because that id what controls the poppet that seats against it. Try to fish it out with a coat hanger.

Fishslick

Cadet

You are right, it is a grommet not a washer. It was the old one that fell on the inside. I tried to get it out with a piece of wire with no luck.

I am wondering if it will hurt anything if I can't get it out. Should I pull the block off or will it be ok to leave it in there?

jiggin joe

Cadet

I would surely get that gromet out of there.Sounds like a scenario that will come back to haunt you at some point. ie-blockage. Dont think you have to tear it down to do this. I would post this problem on a few different forums within this site under heading("how to retrieve gromet")and am sure someone will be able to help.
Good Luck

Fishslick

Cadet

Joe,
You are right, I should not have to tear the block itself down. I would just need to take the bolts out and lift it up. Sounds pretty easy, but the 4 bolts on the outside that are under neath the bottom cowling are so corroded that I do not know if i will be able to get them out. If they come out then it will be a pretty simple task.

I know that I should remove the grommet, but considering the bolt issue, just wondering if it will cause any damage. Thanks for the response and keep them coming.

j_martin

Admiral

The cooling system on that motor is a myriad of small passages and ports to control the flow. Plug up any one of them, and you will have a hot spot and score or stick a piston.

Consider that at WOT you are burning 10 - 15 times as much fuel inside that motor as the average home furnace in Minnesota.

hope it helps
John

Fishslick

Cadet

John
Thanks for the feed back. I have talked to several mechanics, and they have all said that the most it could do is plug up the exhaust and cause it to run hot.

There are two sides to that, one is it may be true, two is if it does mess it up, then somebody will have to repair it.

I think it needs to be removed.

Thanks again and keep them coming.

Eddie

gss036

Commander

You are not the first and will not be last to have the grommet go into the hole. I know some people will just leave them in and hope for the best. The poppet lets excess water go out through the exhaust. I would investigate to see if the lower unit removed would give you access to it. I have never had to fish one out so can't help on that end. Good luck

Fishslick

Cadet

Well everyone, I finall had success. I had tried just running water through it from the flush out fitting. That didn't work. Someone told me the same thing happened to them and the below is what worked.

They actually ran the motor with the poppet valve out and used the water with the pressure of the motor running. After a few minutes and wiggling a small wire in the hole the grommet was pushed up to the hole and he was able to use a piece of wire to fish it out.

Well, I tried the same thing this afternoon. It worked great. After about 5 minutes with the motor running and wiggling the wire it came to the top and I was able to fish it out.

Thanks to everyone and I hope this thread will help someone else out in the future.

j_martin

Admiral

Necessity is the mother of invention........

.......and of course, poverty is the father.

Good going. :D