1969 Mercury 125 6Cyl. Fuel Mixture & Advise

cjleigh

Cadet
I just purchased an old Glastron Swinger V176, with a 1969 (checked through links provided in the forum... thank you) Mercury 125 6cyl (serial number 2536301). I have no idea what the fuel mixture is and neither does the guy who had it before me. Apparently the boat was his fathers and hasn't been operated in 2 or 3 years, which brings me to my next question:

I'm looking for advise on what I should look for since the motor hasn't been run in 2 or 3 years. The fuel tanks are full, but I assume I want to drain them and replace the gas with fresh stuff. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated before I try to crank this baby up for the first time.

Thanks,

C.J. Leigh

cjleigh

Cadet
Re: 1969 Mercury 125 6Cyl. Fuel Mixture & Advise

Cleaned the carbs, and BOOM, started on the first turn of the key. :)

Hackamore

Cadet

If it has been sitting for 2 or 3 years I would without question replace the water pump impeller at least. It will not be good after that long.

cjleigh

Cadet

Thank you for the advise.

Water was coming from the output spout, but it wasn't very high pressure. I am looking around town to see if someone has the parts locally.

sirdun

Recruit

Got a 69 1250 question regarding the coil. Replaced all the plug leads but having a heck of a time trying to figure out how the coil lead from the coil side comes out? The cap side un-screws I know that but on the coil side the lead moves slightly in and out. The lead is rotted and needs replacing, anyone have any suggestions?

usskydvr

Chief Petty Officer

The mixture should be 50:1

Regarding the coil wire, you may have to use some needle nose pliers and trash the wire so you can go in and grab the brass end fitting to yank it out.

sirdun

Recruit

Thanks I will look at that. Is the coil side a threaded connection like the dist cap?

emckelvy

Commander

Thanks I will look at that. Is the coil side a threaded connection like the dist cap?

Nope, the coil wire plugs in and you'll need a stout pull to get it outta there.

HTH...............ed