2001 tracker pro team 175 alarm constantly sounding

zx28

Cadet
I have a 2001 bass tracker 175 xt and while riding in rough water one day the alarm began to sound constantly. I ve read that the constant alarm means it is overheating, but it is getting water to the block i believe because water is coming out of the little hole at the back of the motor. How would i determine whether or not its just a faulty alarm module? thanks for your time

shankforce

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 2001 tracker pro team 175 alarm constantly sounding

Well how long were you running before you got the alarm? It could be one of numerous water circulation issues like water pump thermoustat or popit valve or maybe even the temp sending unit.

j_martin

Admiral

There's no "modules" involved, just a simple klixon switch on one of the heads. If it gets too hot, it grounds the same wire that comes from the oil alert module, and sounds the horn. So also will a short anywhere in that circuit.

So find the screw terminal where those 3 wires come together, and seperate them. If the alarm still sounds, there's a short in the wiring. If it quits, connect the oil alert and the temp switch in turn. The one that sounds the alarm is faulty.

hope it helps
john.

zx28

Cadet

Thanks guys for the help. When i get back home from college this afternoon i ll try checking those wires. Shankforce to answer your question i had been running for maybe ten minutes from one spot to another a couple weekends ago in a tournament in really i mean really rough water.

I found the little round red looking thing that is about 1 inch long and as round as a quarter that was making all the racket, Im assuming thats the horn? or is that something else?

zx28

Cadet

Ok i found the temp sensing wire that was a tan color with blue stripe. I disconnected it and the alarm kept going, i then located the two wires coming out from under the oil reservior and disconnected each of them. either one of the wires i disconnected turned the horn off. So I don t really know how to interpret what ive found...any advice? I thought the constant alarm was from overheating? ..by the way the alarm is on always as soon as i turn the key without the motor running. Thanks for your time

Sink_or_Swim

Recruit

I'm having the exact same problem as you except on a 2000 40HP. This started last weekend while I was on my way in from a day on the lake and the alarm came on (constant) and wouldn't go off. Now As soon as I turn the key (whether eng is running or not) the alarm sounds. Replaced temp sensor & oil level sensor.Traced all wiring from switch to termination points and all appears to be ok. Disconnected temp sensor & alarm still sounds. Disconnected oil level switch & it stops.The only thing I could think off is that the actual buzzer is bad or maybe check the float in the oil resevoir as mentioned above.

Ok i found the temp sensing wire that was a tan color with blue stripe. I disconnected it and the alarm kept going, i then located the two wires coming out from under the oil reservior and disconnected each of them. either one of the wires i disconnected turned the horn off. So I don t really know how to interpret what ive found...any advice? I thought the constant alarm was from overheating? ..by the way the alarm is on always as soon as i turn the key without the motor running. Thanks for your time

Sink_or_Swim

Recruit

Found the problem that was causing the constant alarm. After replacing both temp & oil sensors it turned out to be the float in the oil resevoir. The magnet had separated from the float. New resevoir is something like $111, you cant just by the float & replace. Maybe try to find a glue that will withstand oil submersion and glue magnet back on float. Temporarily removed float/magnet. No more alarm.

shankforce

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have replaced that myself now I just scrapped the whole oil injection garbage and run staigt oil to the gas 50 to one. THat oil alarm goes off for many different reasons that is why it is nonsense. I had it go off when my mercury switch died not alowing your motor to start like you pulled the lanyard. Stupid design. Mercury needs to come up with a better alarm system. long beep for over heat and interupted beep for oil sounds like something out of the 70s.

zx28

Cadet

Thanks guys for all the help. I guess the float is probably the problem in my motor. I just decided to undo the little buzzer for now and i ll just keep an eye out for the typical two stroke smoke and that water keeps flowing through the block and out the little hole. thanks again :D