The new 4-stroke 15 and 20...

JimXeod

Seaman Apprentice
Re: The new 4-stroke 15 and 20...

Yes, I got the '09 Mercury 15 from small outboards. Overall pretty good experience, and saved over $600 from the lowest price I could find on a leftover and no tax. And, honestly I don't trust most craigslist ads on the history of the outboards people are selling. I also wanted some warranty, although these motors are pretty bulletproof, and I maintain them to a fault. I really don't worry about them once I boat test and make sure it is functioning properly. If not, them the warranty is a safety net.

boater1234

Master Chief Petty Officer

Well i found a motor on craigslist i think the find of the century and so far a few people agree.It is a 1995 yamaha 15hp 2stroke i just happen to run across and said let me go take a look as my options are open right now because of the money situation.So i hoped in my car to a suprise,jim u would not belive your eyes on this motor i asked them if they ever used it,this motor is the cleanest used motor i have ever seen since i have been boating for 20yrs.

I put another post in the yamaha section with pics if u want to take a look at it.I paid $800 for a motor that has less then 20hrs on it and sat in storage for over 10yrs and the great thing no ethanol gas has ever touched it period.They ran 4 full tanks of gas through it and stored it up and bought another motor for their boat and then decided to sell it and pulled it out got the carbs cleaned and not a scratch on this motor,looks like it was just pulled from the box.

It had the original lower unit oil clean as a whistle,and plugs clean.The compression is perfect in both cylinders and the water pump works perfect although i'm going to get that done anyway.This motor was just broke in when they used it and then stored it away so basically it is brand new.Boy did i thank GOD for this one that is the only man who could of led me to this motor as i looked at 50 of them in the last 4mths and for $800 u get crap so i think this is a keeper for a while and light to at 79lbs.Now i have every intention of getting a new motor asap but now i don't have to stress as i can go fishing now.

I also know with the 2strokes going away that makes this motor worth alot more then it was yrs ago and if i want to sell it i can get top dollar for it.If they said no to the offer i gave to them and wanted more i would of paid up to around $1400 to $1500 that is how nice this motor is and i would never pay that kind of money for a motor ever but this was well taken care of and stored up properly i guess u can say.They had it all covered up and in the house so u can see what they thought of the motor as they paid $1600 for the motor in 95 and sold it for half the price with no use,not bad huh.Hope u take a look at the pics in the other post,sorry i'm excited that is why i'm writing so much.Ok have a great day:)

JimXeod

Seaman Apprentice

I saw that one on CL. I like two-strokes. My wife was complaining about the smoke and smell, didn't like using pre-mix, and it was a pain scrubbing the oil crud off of my inflatable tubes. The smoke is really bothersome to some in a small boat. But, other than that all positives. If I found a nice 25 I would do it, since it is the same weight as my 15 4-stroke.

JimXeod

Seaman Apprentice

I checked out the motor. Looks nice, and a great deal too. I don't know about the $1400-$1500 though. It is a 1995 afterall. As nice as it is, it is an older technology motor. Nothing wrong that, but it is a smaller market. There are some old salts out there who would want a motor just like that. They will rarely spend over $1000, because they could care less about a motor as cosmetically clean as that. They would be just as happy with a beater for $600. Just my .02 from someone who has bought and sold some on CL too.

boater1234

I threw the 15hp on craigslist asking $1600 not even expecting a call just to see if anyone would budge on the money i have it for and a guy called me from gainsville for my address to come hear it run and he said if it runs as good as it looks sold for all $1600 i thought it was a joke until he asked for my address and a time to look at it,wow if this happens.I would double my money and only need a few hundred more to get a new 15 4stroke if this is true how can i pass this up i would be a fool don't u think?

JimXeod

Seaman Apprentice

You did real good! That's a lot of $ for a 1995 motor.

boater1234

Well i took the motor out one time before i was going to sell it and decided to call the guy back and cancel it is worth much more to me then even $1600.I can't sell it after the power it displayed it was sick as me in my 14ft boat with a plywood floor and no gear hit 31.8mph gps is that nuts or what.

This motor is a beast.I put good synthetic lower unit oil in her and good synthetic 2stroke oil and almost 0 smoke at a 40:1 ratio just to reoil the internal parts again because it has been sitting for that long.I am running it really rich for the first 6 gallons of gas to give the oil a chance to relube all the internal parts like a breakin again as it only had a few hours on it to begin with and after i will run it at 75:1 as it calls for 100:1 but to me all the wot i do the 75:1 will protect it better then the 100:1.

I know back in the day they started having major issues with the 100:1 ratio when a motor sat for a while the oil film would just not be there anymore and blew the motor up so i added a ton of oil so that would not happen as very wise yamaha guy who has been working on these motors for over 50 yrs suggested this after i did it so he said that was very smart of u as any of the people ever think of that and i told him i have seen tons of articles on it.He also said it might have been ok but it was a crap shoot and why chance it.

So the moral to the story is i'm keeping it and i will advertise it on craigslist for a crazy $1895 and if it does not sell oh well if it does all i need is a few bucks and i have a new 4stroke,as i'm going to almost bet i get no calls and expect none but u never know this day in age so we will see i guess.That would be nuts if someone bought this for that money i would be in shock but the more scarce they become the more value i have on my boat.