2004 Saltwater 90hp Mercury fuse problem

fishingator

Recruit
I had the 20 amp fuse blow which is located on near the rear side, near the top of the motor. It disabled the starter and caused a shutter noise in the throttle control box on the center console when we tried to crank it. Fortunately we were able to find the blown fuse, borrowed one from one of the aerators and the motor ran fine and got us back to the launch. Now I'm am reluctant about taking it back out without getting an idea what caused it to blow. Any ideas?

shankforce

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 2004 Saltwater 90hp Mercury fuse problem

Keep a few on the boat and run it. I have blown this fuse and been fine for a year. You could check your charging system and ignition system for proper readings but I would just keep an eye on it and have a few on hand.

fishingator

Recruit
Re: 2004 Saltwater 90hp Mercury fuse problem

Thanks Shankforce! That is my intended idea as well, along with a radio and cell phone to call Seatow! I don't know enough about this problem to know if the fuse kept blowing, if you could leave the ignition on and pull start it to get back. I guess another service manual is in order....or I should say is on order!:)