Starter broke off motor...any ideas?

Smythley

Cadet
Same Mid 90s 40 hp Tracker Force by Merc Marine I posted about the other day. Got starting problems figured out and take it out for a test run. Everything is lovely till I hear a strange rattling. Kill it, pull the cowl off and the starter is laying in the bottom of the motor. One bolt broke off in the hole, (I think I can get it with an EZ out). However, the other bolt didn't break, the corner piece of the mounting bracket did...

I'm stumped. I believe the whole bracket us one piece with the side of the block. Any ideas?

j_martin

Admiral
Re: Starter broke off motor...any ideas?

Same Mid 90s 40 hp Tracker Force by Merc Marine I posted about the other day. Got starting problems figured out and take it out for a test run. Everything is lovely till I hear a strange rattling. Kill it, pull the cowl off and the starter is laying in the bottom of the motor. One bolt broke off in the hole, (I think I can get it with an EZ out). However, the other bolt didn't break, the corner piece of the mounting bracket did...

I'm stumped. I believe the whole bracket us one piece with the side of the block. Any ideas?

You need to befriend a world class welder.

Fastener failure stinks for sure. I'm real fussy about bolts and their coresponding holes being in good shape.

zorak

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Be very careful when welding it as a tig welder will use high frequency AC which can possibly blow your switchbox or any other sensitive electronics.

Smythley

Cadet

I'm friends with a guy who has been to national welding championship twice...He doesn't even want to touch it. He said we might could take everything off the motor completely and it might be possible.

zorak

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes. The big thing is keeping what you cant remove cool as tig welding aluminum produces lots of heat and aluminum will conduct the heat very quickly .This could possibly cook an oil seal or something else. Just scrape any paint off weld quickly and let cool.Just don't get in a hurry. Your friend should know what to do. I would try it ,just be sure that the pcs are exactly in the right place as placement is critical

j_martin

Admiral

Like Zorak says, remove all electronics before welding on it.

hope it helps
John

zorak

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When we got our 1st tig welder at work we started blowing up the phones within a 30 foot radius of the welder.Hi frequency can cause some pretty strange things to happen. It can also back feed thru a grounded switchbox ( or any similar engine electronics) and smoke it

sunburnt

Seaman
same prob on my merc . i made a alum bracket to fit. make sure bottom mount screw goes back in--- hard to get to ,so people dont replace. an case cracks

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
This thread is about 5 years old. Good advice, but please do not reply to threads with no activity for 90 or more days. Thanks.