1966 Mercury 650

biker4jc

Cadet
I have just had the privilege of purchasing a Mercury 650, whose serial number indicates it's a '66. So far I have $100 invested in the motor, 2 fuel tanks, the shift/gear control, and steering cable/wheel assembly. After clearing the wasp nests from inside the cowling, adding a new fuel line and battery I gave it a try, and this motor which was reported to have not run in 5 years fired up and ran smooth on all 4. (I did do compression tests{120 on all}and a quick spark test) I ran it for a while in a barrel and it seemed to run great. I have more experience with OMC products of this era so I have a few questions. This one didn't seem to pump much water from the two small square ports just below the power head, is this normal? During the whole time the motor ran it did not get too hot to touch, in fact it was just a little more than warm. I'm absolutely thrilled at how much smoother 4 cylinders are than the "Big Twins" ...... so I guess I was wondering ....... do I need to do an impeller change? Is it a similar operation to an OMC? Thanks.

douglas1978

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1966 Mercury 650

I would change the impeller for peace of mind 5 years is a long time for dry rot of the rubber to set in and how about the the lower unit? has oil in or leaks and if my memory serves me right i think they had a steel shaft in there that could rust up and ruin the seals letting water in. Could inspect that while you change the impeller.

biker4jc

Cadet

Thanks for the info Douglas. I'm told this motor has a thermostat. Where is that little beastie hidden? ........ So much to learn, and I feel so old.

douglas1978

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't think it has one tried looking up one for mine(1971) could not find the part number. Don't quote me though maybe someone else can chim in

biker4jc

Cadet

If it has one I'm not going to worry about it. That's a seriously sweet running motor. The water tell tale is spitting lots of water so I know it's circulating. I guess ....... if it ain't broke ........ don't fix it. I may have other questions down the road, or some about other outboards I have, but for now all's well.
THANKS FOR THE HELP!!