Mercury 150 XR2 serial number,gauge problems

I recently purchased a 1987 stratos 179v. It has a Mercury 150 XR2. The guy I bought it from believes the original motor blew and this is a replacement. I am trying to buy parts (carb kit, etc.) but the serial number tag/decal is missing. Does Mercury put serial numbers in multiple locations like an automobile? I want to overhaul the carbs,fuel pump, waterpump,etc. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I would also like to find a wiring schematic for the boat. None of the gauges work and I was also curious can I just use gauges for the setup. Will a standard Faria fuel gauge work or do I have to match it to the sender. Or will a standard trim gauge work as long as it is for a Mercury?

Dukedog

Captain
Re: Mercury 150 XR2 serial number,gauge problems

If your one of tha lucky ones it might have a serial no. stamped on tha welsh plug. Its on top rear of tha block. Looks like a freeze plug. There is also a "build" date stamped on tha block. It will be at tha bottom of no. 2 clyinder on tha block half right where tha motor parts split. Kinda behind tha advance timing arm. Small 1/4" numbers. Might be hard ta read. Will be m/d/yr.

j_martin

Admiral

I recently purchased a 1987 stratos 179v. It has a Mercury 150 XR2. The guy I bought it from believes the original motor blew and this is a replacement. I am trying to buy parts (carb kit, etc.) but the serial number tag/decal is missing. Does Mercury put serial numbers in multiple locations like an automobile? I want to overhaul the carbs,fuel pump, waterpump,etc. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I would also like to find a wiring schematic for the boat. None of the gauges work and I was also curious can I just use gauges for the setup. Will a standard Faria fuel gauge work or do I have to match it to the sender. Or will a standard trim gauge work as long as it is for a Mercury?

Odds are good that a single blown fuse or dirty fuse holder is the gauge problem.

Should be keyed power on a purple wire under the dash somewhere.

hope it helps
John

Nothing on the welsh plug but I found the dat 1/4/85. How will I buy parts without the serial number?

Dukedog

Captain

Nothing on the welsh plug but I found the dat 1/4/85. How will I buy parts without the serial number?

That happens a lot. If I was at home I could get ya a number ta use. '84 ta '88 'bout tha same and very little change up till '91. V6's are pretty much tha same 'cept for pistons (2.0 or 2.4) and reed (vertical or horizontal) configuration ta '91. Water pump and carb kits same. Maybe someone hear can get ya a number..............

sawblade723

Seaman Apprentice

I have a 1986 150 XR2 and my serial number is B169328. You can probably use it for ordering parts. Your carbs will have numbers stamped on top of them that you will need to get kits. Mine are WH40 carbs. There are many different carbs used on these motors so find your number before you order the kits to make sure you get the right ones.

Dukedog

Captain

His number will work just fine including tha carb kits. WH kits are pretty much all tha same. All they are are gaskets. Easy ta do. Clean, clean, clean, set floats, new gaskets and done..................